Announcement

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Top line

#1 2015-03-30 20:08:18

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Top line

What is happening with the "Top Line" i.e. Left-arrow, Album Name, "Upload" up-arrow and "Select"?

(I understand the first two but would like as long an Album Name as possible).

If I press the "Upload" up-arrow I get a strange empty screen with the choice to "select all"?  What is this?

For an album list, If I press "Select" what happens?  (Apart from the Trash Bin and the "Download" down-arrow).  Why is it always there?  Better to remove it if there are no images in the album.

Surely the Trash Bin and the "Download" down-arrow) only apply to Image Thumbnails?
(PS there is a typo of 'downlaod')

Tadjio

#2 2015-03-30 22:41:42

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Top line

Tadjio wrote:

If I press the "Upload" up-arrow I get a strange empty screen with the choice to "select all"?  What is this?

That's to upload images from your iPhone into Piwigo. If it's empty either a) you don't have any photos on your phone or b) you didn't allow the app access to your camera roll?

#3 2015-03-30 23:04:54

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

windracer wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

That's to upload images from your iPhone into Piwigo. If it's empty either a) you don't have any photos on your phone or b) you didn't allow the app access to your camera roll?

Two issues:-

1) Why do we have the "Upload" up-arrow at the top as well as the "Cloud" upload at the bottom?
I think they both belong in the bottom bar.

2) I am using the iCloud Photo Library so I suspect this is why I am not seeing any photos - there is no "Camera Roll" on my device.

Tadjio

#4 2015-03-31 00:47:31

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Why is there an upload button when browsing your albums:
This was a want from users to be able to browse your albums and then upload from within them.

Empty local images:
The app currently only looks at your "camera roll". It'll soon be able to select which local album to look in.

Icons:
I think it's a good idea to have them have the same icon since they do the same thing, but I don't know how well a cloud icon would look in the Navigation bar.

#5 2015-03-31 20:28:03

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

I asked:

Tadjio wrote:

Why do we have the "Upload" up-arrow at the top as well as the "Cloud" upload at the bottom?
I think they both belong in the bottom bar.

I think we are in a slight muddle here.

Pressing the top "upload" up-arrow results in the same screen as pressing the bottom "cloud" button (once you have selected an album.

I think the top "upload" up-arrow should be removed and the "cloud" button should default to the current album.

Tadjio

#6 2015-04-02 00:16:46

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Moving on to consider the Select option.
This results in the Download arrow replacing the Upload arrow (which is confusing) plus the Trash Can button.

I think all these buttons should move to the bottom button bar:-

1) Albums
2) Upload (starting with default as the current album)
3) Select
resulting in Download and Trash buttons appearing
4) Preferences

(Personally I would like the bottom bar White not Orange, as it is in Photos)
I know it is not so in the Photos App but I would refer to gain space at the top for the Album Title and put the word "Select" in the bottom bar.

Tadjio

#7 2015-04-02 23:08:25

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

I think one thing that I could do is when you tap "select" the trash can and download buttons only appear when you have at least one image selected. I think that will help the difference between the upload and download buttons.

Top Line, from what I understand you're proposing this:
Move some items from the Navigation Bar (top bar) to the Tab Bar (bottom bar).

From an iOS design point of view, the Tab Bar is used to navigate to different locations in your app (think multiple separate screens), while the Navigation Bar is used to gain extra options for the current screen. Moving the select button to the Tab Bar isn't a functionality native to iOS because the select has to do with the current screen, not the application as a whole.

Why there are two "upload" buttons:
- The "cloud" one in the Tab Bar is there for the strict purpose of "I want to upload images now and I know exactly where to put them."
- The upload button in the Navigation Bar is for when you're browsing your Piwigo albums and you go "I'm looking at my images, and this is the album I want to upload in, here's a quick button to do that."
This functionality is the same as in the Piwigo Web app.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it!

#8 2015-04-03 01:03:26

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Hoser wrote:

Move some items from the Navigation Bar (top bar) to the Tab Bar (bottom bar).

Yes.
The reasoning is twofold.  Firstly if Album Titles are long, they are truncated.
Secondly, I think all the "upload" functions can be driven off the Tab Bar (bottom) and they could be argued to navigate to different locations in your app.

I am comparing with Photos App as my guide to the "iOS design point of view".
If you press Select, the Upload and Trash icons appear in the Tab Bar (bottom) and this saves real estate in the Navigation Bar (top).

Personally I think the "Select" icon should move down as well, for practical considerations, but I might concede that.

I think you missed my point about combining your two Upload buttons.
I think we should just have the one in the Tab Bar (bottom) with the Cloud symbol to distinguish it from Download. 

The "default" album to upload to could be the one that is currently being viewed.

PS Do you want me to carry on testing over the Easter weekend?

Tadjio

#9 2015-04-03 04:53:40

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Tadjio wrote:

Personally I think the "Select" icon should move down as well, for practical considerations, but I might concede that.

I think you missed my point about combining your two Upload buttons.

The photos app hides the Tab Bar and shows a Tool Bar. I think we could do something like that. Though, there's more pressing issues at the moment, so maybe a little bit later I'll look into this. I'll put it into the backlog.

Tadjio wrote:

I think we should just have the one in the Tab Bar (bottom) with the Cloud symbol to distinguish it from Download.

The "default" album to upload to could be the one that is currently being viewed.

I think this could get confusing to have functionality on the tab bar behave off another view. I've never seen an app do something like this. It's an interesting idea though.

Tadjio wrote:

PS Do you want me to carry on testing over the Easter weekend?

I wont be doing much development, but you can if you want to.

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Piwigo for iOS, version 2.0. Top line

Board footer