Announcement

#1 2013-01-19 00:14:23

whizbo
Colorado, USA
2012-12-07

Moving Physical Categories

I recently installed piwigo 2.1.2 (debian squeeze) and uploaded, by ftp, ~100 directories of images in to /galleries.  These directories weren't organized, but I noticed in the Admin area that there was an area to move categories, so I went ahead and created thumbnails and started tagging images.  Now I want to organize all of the categories, so I tried to move them... doh!!

Some research on the forums tells me that physical categories can't be moved.  Instead, I need to create virtual categories, associate the images to them, and then hide the physical categories.  This makes a neat and organized gallery for the user to browse through.  However, in the Admin area under "Categories> Manage" I can still see the ~100 physical categories.

I know that piwigo can't move physical categories, but I wonder if I could manually do it, at my own risk.

If I copied a directory an existing directory of images to my ideal location, is there a way to associate the tag data with the new images?  Perhaps I could manually edit the database?  Then I could remove the original directory.

I don't need to save any of the other file info like posted date, view count, or rating.  I just want the tag data.  Does anyone have any ideas??

I love piwigo.  Great Job!!!

#2 2013-01-19 07:51:39

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

Re: Moving Physical Categories

at your own risk you need to
- modify the id_uppercat column in the categories table
- go to admin / tools / maintenance and run Update albums information and Update photo information (this will recompute some db fields such as uppercats or global_rank)
- move your directory
- check site upadte in simulation - no change should be proposed
- check your gallery

note that 2.1.2 is very old ....

#3 2013-01-21 04:23:09

whizbo
Colorado, USA
2012-12-07

Thank you so much!!  This works great.

Just to clarify for future forum searchers, id_uppercat should be modified to the category number of the desired parent category/directory where you plan to move the category/directory in question.

Note: If the desired location is in /galleries, and not in a sub-directory (like /galleries/foo/) then the id_uppercat should be set to null.

#4 2015-08-10 19:37:53

Spaldam

Sweat!  I've been playing around trying to figure this out.

I manually updated the path column under the images table, and the global_rank column under the categories table, but apparently those will get updated automatically when updating the id_uppercat column.

#5 2015-08-11 10:03:03

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

sorry but what are you trying to do?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer