Announcement

#1 2015-09-28 22:52:35

cmyk
2015-09-28

Virtual and Physical Albums ("Virtualize" plugin)-strange observations

Hello,

I'm using Piwigo on my NAS (Thecus 2520). I'm new to Piwigo - and i didn't find answers to my questions.

1. I have a test album which i created through Administration->Album->Management. I checked that the uploaded images are in folder .../upload/2015/09/28 which is OK.   I deleted the album from   Administration->Album->Management->Delete album. Album(and images) are deleted, so they dissappear from the gallery view, but all the images are still in ../upload/2015/09/28.
Why the images are still there? Is this normal

2. I moved an album "New_album" through FTP to  ....piwigo/galleries. Used plug-in "Virtualize" to move this physical album to a virtual album in ../upload folder. Synchronized it through Admin panel.  Album appeared in gallery view. So everything was done correctly.
As i read when using plug-in "Virtualize" all the images from physical folder in "galleries" should be MOVED. BUT all my images are still in folder ../galleries/New_album  /and also copied in the virtual folder/. I use "Virtualize" plugin, not "physical2virtual".
Why the images are still in .../galleries folder?

Thank you in advance.

Piwigo version: 2.6.3
PHP version: 5.6.0
MySQL version: 5.6.19

#2 2015-09-28 22:56:42

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

Re: Virtual and Physical Albums ("Virtualize" plugin)-strange observations

cmyk wrote:

Hello,

I'm using Piwigo on my NAS (Thecus 2520). I'm new to Piwigo - and i didn't find answers to my questions.

1. I have a test album which i created through Administration->Album->Management. I checked that the uploaded images are in folder .../upload/2015/09/28 which is OK.   I deleted the album from   Administration->Album->Management->Delete album. Album(and images) are deleted, so they dissappear from the gallery view, but all the images are still in ../upload/2015/09/28.
Why the images are still there? Is this normal

2. I moved an album "New_album" through FTP to  ....piwigo/galleries. Used plug-in "Virtualize" to move this physical album to a virtual album in ../upload folder. Synchronized it through Admin panel.  Album appeared in gallery view. So everything was done correctly.
As i read when using plug-in "Virtualize" all the images from physical folder in "galleries" should be MOVED. BUT all my images are still in folder ../galleries/New_album  /and also copied in the virtual folder/. I use "Virtualize" plugin, not "physical2virtual".
Why the images are still in .../galleries folder?

Thank you in advance.

Piwigo version: 2.6.3
PHP version: 5.6.0
MySQL version: 5.6.19

I haven't been able to replicate this behavior.  Perhaps your permissions may be an issue.

#3 2015-09-28 23:03:23

cmyk
2015-09-28

What permissions do you mean? Where can i change them?

#4 2015-09-28 23:17:52

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

cmyk wrote:

What permissions do you mean? Where can i change them?

Unix file system permissions.  The directories and files must be able to be written to by the user account the web server runs under.  (or chmod'd 777)

BUT - understand that I am not the expert on this, just pointing out that it may be a permissions issue.

If you understand Unix filesystem permissions, it's trivial, if not, you'll have to do some reading...

#5 2015-09-28 23:27:54

cmyk
2015-09-28

I think it's not about permissions. Here is why i think so:

Concerning my first question:

As i explained when i delete an album all the images from the album are still in folder ..upload/2015/09/28.
BUT i just tried to delete an image from the album, and guess what - the image also has been deleted from ..upload/2015/09/28...
So to summarize when i delete a certain image/s from the album they also been deleted from ../upload folder, but when i delete an whole album - the images remain in ../upload folder!

Any idea?

Last edited by cmyk (2015-09-28 23:28:15)

#6 2015-09-29 21:25:22

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
1- perfectly normal ; albums are virtual. They are not folders. Piwigo won't delete any files without confirmation
2- probably normal too, as a backup I guess if something went wrong

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#7 2015-09-29 22:33:06

cmyk
2015-09-28

Hello flop25,

Concerning point 1.
Why do you think that deleting an album should not delete  files in it?  If i want to delete an album obviously i don't need it anymore (and images in it also). So if i delete for example 10 albums with 500 images in each - they will no more appear in the gallery view but on my HDD  5000 unnecessary images will remain forever  which i will never be able to delete because i will no able know where they are in the ../upload folder.

#8 2015-09-29 22:41:54

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Because Piwigo is designed in a way to allow photos to rely on many album. Thus photos and albums are completely distinct entities.

The Batch Manager has a filter to identify orphan photos then delete them.

#9 2015-09-29 22:42:33

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

And what about pictures existing in several album? And what about assigning then them to another album?
you can now choose to filter by orphan photos and then delete them

arg Powned!

Last edited by flop25 (2015-09-29 22:43:01)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#10 2015-09-29 23:04:40

cmyk
2015-09-28

Thank you for your replies. You helped me a lot.
Such a filter for orphaned photos solves my case.

Thank you again.

Board footer