Announcement

#1 2016-05-23 23:08:01

Jan Becket
2015-01-17

Suggest a host?

Hello

I have a question about web hosting services. I originally moved my site to Arvixe from GoDaddy because it was listed as a Piwigo-friendly host on this site.

I have a rather complex website, with three sub-domains, three separate Piwigo installations, two Wordpress installations and some front-end web pages that link to parts of the databases. My site was hacked by somebody named Ahmed in Tunisia a week ago, and my web host (Arvixe) got me back in. All MySQL databases were inaccessible. I recovered one Piwigo database and re-installed the other two. I recovered one Wordpress database, but the other one remains inaccessible. I have done everything I can do.

I have a backup of that Wordpress database on my computer. I just do not know enough to restore it on the host.

Arvixe got me back in right away, but since then, has been no help whatsoever. The 24/7 chat guy in India or wherever "escalated" my support, created a ticked and informed me that it is in the "queue." Escalating in this case seems like the same as being put on permanent hold.

The question: Is this a normal wait for service or are there better web hosting services? I could move the site, but this does not make sense if nobody offers better support.

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Jan B.

Piwigo version: 2.8.0
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://www.janbecket.net

#2 2016-05-24 12:00:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Suggest a host?

Hi Jan,

I'm going to contact Arvixe about your problem.

#3 2016-05-24 12:32:48

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

24/7 support tells me:

Arvixe wrote:

No, we are doing our best in handling ticket. There is no issue with it.

Jan, please keep us informed about your issue. We want to make sure we recommend quality hosting!

#4 2016-05-25 21:18:51

Jan Becket
2015-01-17

Thanks for contacting Arvixe! I just receive a response to my ticket - probably because of your inquiry. Unfortunately the response is vague boilerplate, not too helpful:

"Hi,

As any backups would be compromised, the best thing to do would be to clear out all compromised data along with maybe re-installing the script along with all plugins and themes. I would also suggest that you change your account passwords along with your email passwords just to be safe.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks,"

They seem to be suggesting that all the content on the site is expendable. My ticket clearly states that I have a .tar.gz backup on my local computer from a year ago of the inaccessible database - not sure why that would be "compromised." Waiting — somewhat patiently — to hear back from Arvixe. In the meanwhile, that sound you hear is of my head banging on a wall ...

#5 2020-06-27 02:33:47

executive
2017-08-16

@Max
Do you realize that you're reviving four year old topics?

Board footer