mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

[Plugin] SmartAlbums

[extension by mistic100] SmartAlbums

old message :

Hi there,
As some of you know I'm working on the plugin SmartAlbums that allows to create dynamic albums according to tags and date criterias.

One difficult thing is that pictures which are totally private for an user mustn't be displayed in the SmartAlbum, even if this album is visible for this user (it's a choice, I assume it !)

So here comes the interresting part : who want to test the plugin ?! especially with strange permissions configurations ^^

Last edited by mistic100 (2011-06-16 16:39:05)

#2 2011-06-12 20:06:06

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: [Plugin] SmartAlbums

note that currently SmartAlbums are only computed on demand, with buttons on cat_list page

and I forgot to precise that you must go the properties' page of a virtual album to enter criterias

#3 2011-06-15 15:30:58

sbyke
2011-02-26

I'm very happy with smart albums and the IPTC tag tweak.  So I tag locally with digikam, then upload the files and each file shows up in one more more smart albums based on date filters and tag filters.

Since I have more than one source of photos (2 cell phones, one point in shoot, and one SLR) in the household I don't find filtering by upload date very useful (since it's often multiple days for a single event).  However the creation date (the date the photo was taken) is quite useful so I wrote a small patch.

So basically my workflow is grab random camera, copy files to a directory, run a small script to move files into <dir>/year/monday/day/<original name>, tag them with digikam, and them upload to piwigo where they end up in albums based on the day I took the picture and the tags.  Then run a rsync based backup.

So I propose:
* Either adding or replacing the existing "added before/after/on"
  filter with one that filters on creation date.
* Using the same field name as displayed in the metadata for a picture
  which would be either "Created on" or "Posted on"

I wrote a small patch to change SmartAlbum's default behavior of date filtering by date_available/Post on to date_creation/Created on.  The patch works for me, it doesn't include a French translation though.

Small patch attached.

Hrm, I don't see a sign of the attachment, I posted it at this URL as well:
http://broadley.org/bill/smartalbums-created-on.patch

Last edited by sbyke (2011-06-15 15:36:34)

#4 2011-06-15 15:40:46

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Actually I don't know with which datas are filled date_creation fields, on my galleries all fields are NULL
but that's a good idea, I will look at your patch ;)

note : attachements work only for pictures

#5 2011-06-15 16:04:48

sbyke
2011-02-26

Ah, well I can confirm that by default piwigo and smart albums filter by the "Posted on" date that shows below an image in the picture.php view.  Which I believe (at least with my camera) is the date_available field in the database.

With my patch that changes to the "Created on" data which maps to the date_creation field.  I've been testing with 275 recent photos and the database has a date entry for both for each photo.

Sounds like something is stripping your EXIF data, or maybe your EXIF tool doesn't understand your raw photos.  Are you by chance doing a raw -> JPG conversion without carrying over the EXIF data?

I have to say I'd be lost without the Created on field.  No way could I figure out which of N trips a particular photo is from.  A recent example included 4 cameras that went on 2 trips 2 weeks apart to the same national park.

#6 2011-06-16 16:39:22

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

the first public version is out !

#7 2015-07-04 02:52:52

MatthewYax

Is there a way to create a smart album based upon a variable... more specifically created on = Today() or uploaded on = today() ??

thx.. Matthew

#8 2015-07-05 16:34:57

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

#9 2016-11-22 03:47:42

d416
2016-11-22

Thanks for this cool plugin!

Two issues I'm running into with smart albums based on star ratings:

1. Is there a way to have it filter for the actual rating of an image and not the piwigo averaged rating?
I tried to create a 5 star, 4 star etc. For the 4 star album I set the rating to greater than 3 & less than 5 thinking that would give me all images rated to 4 stars. Instead I got many images rated 3 stars because the piwigo averaged the 3 star rated images to 3.25 which was indeed greater than 3.

2. Is there a way to make the albums auto update?
If I am looking at the 4 star album and change an image to a 5 star rating, the image does not show up in the 5 star smart album, I have to manually refresh it in the admin panel.

Board footer