Announcement

•  » Themes
  •  » Taking myself down a rabbit hole modifying a theme layout

#1 2018-01-19 06:22:11

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Taking myself down a rabbit hole modifying a theme layout

I'm running the P0W0 theme, for reference, but I'm not sure my question is limited to that so much as approach. I've read the "change" advice/index page, and it got me part of the way there. So I've been reading all the Theme info, trying to modify / tweak two things.

First, my main page was a bit small on the font size, so I found my way to changing that and adding some basic CSS code

body {font-size: 110%;}

h1 {font-size: 100%;}

h2 {font-size: 100%;}

p {font-size: 100%;}

which allows me to override some of the defaults. Pretty straightforward, could change some colours too, or play with other elements but don't need to.

Second, on the thumbnail page, it puts the TITLE below the photo and on the PHOTO page, it puts the description below the Photo. I don't care WHICH way I do it but I would like it to be the same on both -- either both put the title below or both put the description below. If I was in fantasy land, I'd settle for just adding the title below the photo on the photo page, just below the description, and adding brackets around it.

That makes me think I need to add it to the TPL file. But according to the help links, it says go to local file editor, open the TPL files shown there, and you're good to go. Except I'm not. There are example files, but not the actual template files shown there. Went to my hosting filename, see the theme directories adn the template directories, but nothing that looks like the file that is adding the title element to the thumbnail page nor the description to the photo page.

Worst case scenario, I can paste the same info in TITLE as in description, but I really don't want to do that.

Anyone have any suggestions how to edit which field is placed on the file? Literally, it should be replacing the field of something like TITLE.TITLE with DESCRIPTION.TITLE but I can't find it.

Paul

#2 2018-01-19 06:59:47

PolyWogg
2014-08-17

Re: Taking myself down a rabbit hole modifying a theme layout

I thoguht I posted my link afterwards:

http://www.polywogg.ca/pandafamily

but my further research makes it look like P0W0 just handles CSS styling, not the actual "build" of the photo or even thumbnails page, it just relies on CORE .php files for that.

I'm not sure I want to mess with those...can someone confirm if I want to add the TITLE below the photo on the photo page, that's a CORE issue? I didn't see any plugins that would let me toggle that aspect.

Paul

•  » Themes
  •  » Taking myself down a rabbit hole modifying a theme layout

Board footer