Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Exclusive search on Keywords/Tags (Persons)

#1 2018-03-06 20:41:09

ashtrakhov
2017-01-01

Exclusive search on Keywords/Tags (Persons)

Hi,

I'm not sure if other had this need, but I desperately needed to search on Fotos based on exclusive tag search.

Let me explain my point:
Lets say I have created a group tag for persons. Currently if you search by some person, lets say 'Alex' you will get as a result all the Photos were Alex tag is used. It will include also Photos where Alex and many other people are. But my need is sometimes (actually quite often) is to search only and only persons (tags) exclusively selected in the search. E.g. I would like to see only some persons and 2 particular persons on the picture and noone else. It makes much more easier, e.g. when you are preparing some photo extract for some particular need/e.g. printed album for a present or just for showing to someone only those photos where only he/or she is and e.g. some other person.

I have developed this functionality in my own installation and it is working like a charm. But I dont have any Idea how to develop this as an extension or how to possibly process with this as a feature request. I could provide all the code changes I have done and demo the functionality, but I want to know how to proceed.

Now I need to every time (depending on the update) to install my changes. Approx 6 different files.

I love piwigo and would like to improve it with this feature. I think this kind of exclusive search is really cool and it is one reason why I choosed Piwigo as I knew that I could develop this myself...

With respect
Alexey

#2 2018-03-07 07:40:36

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Exclusive search on Keywords/Tags (Persons)

#3 2018-03-16 08:56:03

samwilson
Fremantle, Western Australia
2014-02-06

It's usually not a great idea to modify the core files, because as you say it makes upgrades a bit of a pain. :-)

I'm a bit confused about your feature though; could you explain more? It sounds like you want to be able to search for just those photos that have all of a given set of keywords, is that right? But that's built into Piwigo by default isn't it?

#4 2018-08-30 14:14:01

sgbotsford
2016-02-13

I can see issues with this.  Your solution may be too specific.  You have found just Alex.  But what if you are looking for pictures of Alex and Claire, but no one else?  What if you want Alex and one of the kids, Mike, John, or Susan, but not two of the kids.

Caveat:  I'm new to Piwago, and may have some bad assumptions about how it works internally.

One of the problems with many photo management apps is the lack of facets:

How do you distinguish between photos tagged "Alex" a person, and ones tagged "Alex" a small town in central Alberta?

How do I search for pix of Alex during his visit to Calgary?

This is where facets come in.  A facet in essence is a bundle of keywords on a given topic.  So People is a facet.  Location is a facet. Picture class (candid, portrait, formal, landscape, closeup...) is a facet.  Weather is a facet.  Mood is a facet.

So that last search becomes People:Alex City:Calgary

If you implement facets (codeword colon is one way to do it, but the devil is in the details) you need two special elements:  Something that means "not applicable."  Not all pictures have people in them, hence "People:N/A" and one that allows you to search for pictures that have not had a particular facet defined.  E.g. you want to search for all pictures that don't have a People: facet so you can add this information.  I would suggest N/P for not present.  Another useful term would be one that allows you to flag a facet as incomplete.  E.g. You have a grad photo, and you've figured out who 18 people are, but not the last 6.  You could use something like People:Inc

#5 2018-10-05 00:13:40

ashtrakhov
2017-01-01

Hi sgbotsford,

thanks for you comment.

I think my request is not something special but more a of a real use when you really try to search and use your photos.

E.g. I want to print an album for my grandmother where only she and her grandson is and nobody else...
Actually when we really want to use our fotos we want to print / find them using exclusive search criteria rather then include everything else as well. At least photos like this are more interesting...

Now about the facest... I got it working with tag cloud inside piwigo (group tag)... So when Im searching on Alex as a person im searching only Person type of tag... so Alex location or other tags will not be picked up...

Alexey

#6 2019-05-17 23:41:22

ashtrakhov
2017-01-01

Still considering to do this but not sure if this is possible to do over Piwigo core + Bootstrap Darkmode theme..

Can anybody with more experience just check what I did and then comment if this is possible or not.

I still think this is really a good feature... the other day my small kid came and said that he need 2 fotos 1 with me and another with the mom... I could easily search with exclusive search for 2 fotos where only he and me and only he and mom...

Alexey

#7 2019-05-17 23:46:31

ashtrakhov
2017-01-01

I needed to modify following files:

1) fotos/themes/bootstrap_darkroom/template/search.tpl

2) fotos/qsearch.php

3) fotos/search.php

4) fotos/include/functions_url.inc.php

5) fotos/include/section_init.inc.php

6) fotos/include/functions_search.inc.php

•  » Requests
  •  » Exclusive search on Keywords/Tags (Persons)

Board footer