Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Connection to server unavailable

#1 2015-05-08 15:38:23

BaS@admin
2015-05-08

Connection to server unavailable

Hi Piwigo Team

I am a simple user of piwigo for my photo gallery. I just wanted to add the plugin 'download counter' to my list of plugins so that I can monitor which photos are being downloaded and how many times.

However I am always getting the message 'connection to server unavailable' when I click on the 'other plugins available' tab. Also when I check for upgrade I get the message 'unable to check for upgrade'

The other posts regarding this issue (that I can find) are out of date 2011 and I do not understand the "computer coding language" they are using to solve the problem.

I use safari 8.0.5 on a mac book pro. just recently updated to OS 10.10.3

Piwigo version: 2.7.4
PHP version: ??
MySQL version: ??
Piwigo URL: http://www.buzz-a-selfie.net

#2 2015-05-11 05:22:38

BaS@admin
2015-05-08

Re: Connection to server unavailable

Does nobody else have this issue? Could it be an IOS upgrade problem?

#3 2015-05-11 10:17:14

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

BaS@admin wrote:

Does nobody else have this issue? Could it be an IOS upgrade problem?

No. But the server where piwigo is hosted cannot connect to another server (piwigo.org in this instance - to retrieve the list of plugins)

#4 2019-02-25 18:50:40

wurdeman
2019-02-25

I am having the same issue when trying to use the "other plugins available" option.  It doesn't seem this was resolved since originally asked about in 2015.  Any suggestions on how to get the feature to work? Thanks!

#5 2019-02-25 22:50:51

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

It's probably a server problem (i.e. your hoster doesn't allow outbound connections via PHP or some such). If you have shell command line access you can test that with a PHP script, save this

Code:

<?php
$host = 'piwigo.org';
if (($s = @fsockopen($host,80,$errno,$errstr,5)) === false)
{
    $testresult = "$errstr ($errno)<br />\n";
}
else
{
    $testresult = "Good connection to $host";
}
echo "$testresult\n";
?>

to a file, for example test.php, and then invoke php -f test.php

If all goes well the output is Good connection to piwigo.org

If you don't have shell command line access then save this

Code:

<?php
$Action = $_POST['Action'];
$host = $_POST['host'];
if($Action == 'Submit')
{
    if (($s = @fsockopen($host,80,$errno,$errstr,5)) === false)
    {
        $testresult = "$errstr ($errno)<br />\n";
    }
    else
    {
        $testresult = "Good connection to $host";
    }
}
echo <<<theend
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Test Connection</title>
</head>
<body>
<h2>Test Connection</h2>
<form action="testconnection-html.php" method="post">
<label for="url">Enter the host:</label>
<input type="text" name="host" id="url" size="30" value="piwigo.org" /><br />
<input type="submit" name="Action" value="Submit"/>
</form>
<p>Test result: $testresult </p>
</body>
</html>
theend;

?>

to a temporary testconnection-html.php file you can browse to, i.e. somewhere as www/.../testconnection-html.php, then enter the corresponding URL in your browser to display the page and submit the form. Again, if all goes well the page displays Test result: Good connection to piwigo.org

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#6 2019-02-26 00:11:07

wurdeman
2019-02-25

I ran the program and got this result:

Test result: Connection refused (111)

I run the server and would not have blocked piwigo, so there is something else blocking the connection.  Does the error mean it is on my server's end, or could it be on the Piwigo end?

When trying to get access to this forum, I was never able to get a validation email from Piwigo, meaning Piwigo was not sending emails to my server.  I would suspect Piwigo is blocking me, not the other way around.  I had to use a Gmail account to get my password to use this forum.  My server is not blacklisted so there is some other problem going on.

Thanks,
Lew

#7 2019-02-26 01:56:48

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Just try a different domain in the script.

#8 2019-02-26 02:22:37

wurdeman
2019-02-25

I just tried about 10 different domains, they all tested good:

Test result: Good connection to yahoo.com

I suspected the domains on my server were being blocked as I had the same issue with the Piwigo installs on other domains.  Likewise, the failure to get validation emails from  various domains on my server. 

To the best of my knowledge, my server isn't blocked by any server or service anywhere.  I just ran MX Toolbox and confirmed I am good to go from all tested blacklists.

How can I (and the other person) find out why our domains are being rejected?

Thanks

#9 2019-02-26 18:14:41

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Shrug, usual network routing trouble shooting applies.. i.e. dns, host, dig, ping, traceroute, ipv4 vs ipv6, ...

#10 2019-02-26 22:21:48

wurdeman
2019-02-25

I did a mail routing test using the server's mail "track delivery" program and it shows success which would lead me to believe my mail got through, as it seems to have gotten through to the sever.  This was for the email to plg@piwigo.com as requested when things failed.  I found no delivery failures.  So even though that means the mail got to the server on that end, doesn't mean it wasn't blocked, or he just isn't responding to mails.  But then the issue isn't the mail which seems to get from me to them, but rather them not writing back or allowing the connection required by the software.

The downside is I can't use that method for templates or plug-ins, so I have to download manually and then upload to my server.

Utilities on my PC like ping and tracert don't go via my server to piwigo so they work as my server isn't the source.  I have asked the DNS support team if there isn't a log that would show the attempted connection and failure with a better reason for rejection than "Connection to server unavailable." "Check for update failed for unknown reasons."  I wish, when the connection failed, that a less obtuse reason for the failure was given.  Telling me failed isn't as helpful as the why.

Thanks....

#11 2019-02-26 23:01:17

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

wurdeman wrote:

But then the issue isn't the mail which seems to get from me to them, but rather them not writing back or allowing the connection required by the software.

There is no indication that the failure would be on piwigo.org's end.

Utilities on my PC like ping and tracert don't go via my server to piwigo so they work as my server isn't the source.

As you wrote

I run the server and would not have blocked piwigo

I thought that of course you would investigate and run such tools on your server, not your local PC ...

a better reason for rejection than "Connection to server unavailable." "Check for update failed for unknown reasons."  I wish, when the connection failed, that a less obtuse reason for the failure was given.  Telling me failed isn't as helpful as the why.

Error code 111 "connection refused" is the TCP sockets failure. Piwigo can't tell any more details if that fails.

If you have a managed server (as it seems, and not "running your own") you could ask the hoster support to run the little script and watch why it fails.

#12 2019-02-27 03:01:37

wurdeman
2019-02-25

Hello,

If my email trace program shows the email successfully being delivered to the Piwigo mail server, then I don't know how we can say the problem is elsewhere.  At least as far as mail going one way, from me to them.  If Piwigo would run the same mail trace from there end, I suspect we would see the failure.

Generally when an action takes place on a server, it is logged with the reason for failure, or success if it works.  The activity would be in a log.  I just am not knowledgeable enough to know what file that is, but am hoping the host where I lease the server will help.

I don't have a managed server, I manage the server although the server farm (IBM) gives me nominal support, more so with connecting to the box, not running the box.

My research shows that both ping and tracert are client commands:

https://documentation.cpanel.net/displa … g+Commands

I mentioned that I did run the php test script on the server, and gave you the response:

Test result: Connection refused (111)

And then when testing other domains, it worked. 

cPanel does have a Track DNS function and it says:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.1 <<>> piwigo.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16153
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;piwigo.org.            IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
piwigo.org.        10800    IN    A    87.98.147.22

;; Query time: 175 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.80.11#53(10.0.80.11)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 26 19:58:30 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 44

But that is just a query, just shows my server sees their server, but doesn't show my trying to do a query on piwigo failed?

Now if I could get Piwigo to do the same thing, we can probably get closer to the root of the problem.

Thanks...

#13 2019-02-28 13:53:30

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

wurdeman wrote:

If my email trace program shows the email successfully being delivered to the Piwigo mail server, then I don't know how we can say the problem is elsewhere.

Email delivery is completely unrelated to what happens when opening a socket to connect against the http port of another server. Also other things you wrote indicate you should do yourself a favour and grab someone in the know who can investigate on your server using the right tools.

#14 2019-03-02 18:37:14

wurdeman
2019-02-25

It is the Piwigo server that is blocking the sending to my server, and the Piwigo server is blocking my attempt to use the plugin or upgrade tool.  The DNS experts said there is nothing on the IBM network nor on my server in particular that is blocking anything.   When there are problems like this, they need to be researched on both ends and we have done what we can on my end.  Myself, as well as my many clients don't have such an issue with any other server so this is unique to Piwigos server.  We have done all we can do on this end and if Piwigo won't get involved, the problem won't get resolved.

Thanks...

#15 2019-03-02 20:39:44

executive
2017-08-16

wurdeman wrote:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.1 <<>> piwigo.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16153
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

Doesn't this mean piwigo.org replied to your server?

•  » Extensions
  •  » Connection to server unavailable

Board footer