Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » ExifTools GPS or ExifTools Keywords — are the the same thing?

#1 2019-04-01 18:39:27

mrcolj
2015-05-22

ExifTools GPS or ExifTools Keywords — are the the same thing?

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

I've spent the last few years scraping all makernotes off before upload, using Exiftools.  Now these plugins exist, which both read like they fix the makernotes/PHP issue—but also which descriptions read like they redundantly do the same thing as each other.  What is the difference and which do you recommend?  Do these plugins require my ISP build in exiftools, or does the plugin handle sourcing exiftools?

Piwigo 2.9.4
PHP: 7.0.33 (Show info) [2019-04-01 16:37:15]
MySQL: 5.5.5-10.2.23-MariaDB [2019-04-01 10:37:15]
Graphics Library: GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
Piwigo URL: http://www.colinandbethany.com/photos/

Last edited by mrcolj (2019-04-02 21:22:12)

#2 2019-04-01 20:15:39

executive
2017-08-16

Re: ExifTools GPS or ExifTools Keywords — are the the same thing?

None of those plugins "scrape off", if by that you mean erase metadata. As their description say, they are for READING.

Yes they require exiftool to be installed on your server. They do not do it for you.

#3 2019-04-02 22:06:34

mrcolj
2015-05-22

Thank you for your reply.

So, for context, PHP has or had an issue with the Makernotes fields of the EXIF data, and subsequently multiple users of piwigo were unable to show maps on their sites (because PHP couldn't read the GPS data.)  Solution #1, recommended a few places on this forum, was just to scrape off all the makernotes fields before upload.  Because I'm not a photographer, removing additional info about the lens type and custom brand-specific camera info was acceptable to me, so that's what I did.  Over time people created solution #2: plugins to have the common perl module exiftools reading the EXIF data instead of PHP doing it.  I linked to two of them.

My question is what the difference is between these two plugins, because they would correctly read my photos, both preserving the integrity of my exifdata versus the other system and saving me time.

Last edited by mrcolj (2019-04-02 22:07:34)

#4 2019-04-03 00:31:59

executive
2017-08-16

OK so what you're really asking about, is you simply want to see the GPS location of your photos in Piwigo, and you want to know the best way to do it.

As far as I know, the purpose of [extension by plg] Exiftool Keywords is only to read 'keywords' (AKA tags). I don't think it will help you with GPS data, but did you try?

It seems to me that the best way to see your image locations is to use [extension by ZeBe] ImageMagick GPS. I think ImageMagick is a common extension to have on webservers. It's easy to turn on, and you don't have to install anything manually (at least for me), and it doesn't require you to enable shell commands (poses security problems). The plugin description says that it is not affected by the bug.

If for some reason, you can't use the imagemagick one, then I guess the other option is to use [extension by ramack] Exiftool GPS. I'm sure you can google how to install it and bypass your security.

DISCLAIMER: I personally do not publish the locations of my photos, therefore I have not tested these features and cannot speak to them from experience. Hopefully somebody else can chime in with theirs. My recommendation is to just try them and see what works best for you.

Last edited by executive (2019-04-03 00:37:50)

•  » Extensions
  •  » ExifTools GPS or ExifTools Keywords — are the the same thing?

Board footer