Announcement

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Image display scaling not consistent on Hi-def windows laptop

#1 2019-07-24 00:13:18

rbdawson
2019-07-23

Image display scaling not consistent on Hi-def windows laptop

General impression--seems very stable, but Piwige image displays seem inconsistent about reponding to windows scaling settings on the client.
Client environment is a Win10 laptop with a native resolution of 3840x2160, and a custom scaling size of 350%.
1. On  opening a gallery image, the scaling menu does not correspond to the size the image is actually displayed. It doesn't seem to be considering the HD/scaling. Selecting the size that shows as displayed then vastly scales up the display
2. On advancing to the next slide in the album, the image size menu selection changes by itself (rather than remaining as last set), and again does not seem to consider Windows scaling settings.

bobD

Piwigo version: 2.10 beta 2
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: https://piwigo.us/beta/rbdawson/

#2 2019-07-24 17:54:10

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Image display scaling not consistent on Hi-def windows laptop

Hello

350% ! omgad I barely freezed my computer when I increased it that much... and burned my eyes too. On my 27" 4K I'm using 175%. Are you viewing your pics on a 4K tv?

I can confirm that the script resizes the picture according to available windows size ; it does display the one selected in the menu but shrink it. And that's the way it has been coded: it detects the screen resolution then display the one corresponding, and finally shrink it if needed (and never enlarge it because it would severly deteriorate the picture quality). The script is an auto size feature to adapt the display to the display, so that's indeed "not compatible" to any zoom features including the browser ones

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2019-07-24 20:32:04

rbdawson
2019-07-23

Actually, that resolution is on my wife's 15" laptop--if you don't scale it up, you'd need a magnifying glass. The system default upscale is 250%

And it is the windows display scaling setting--not browser scaling. The shots I posted are more or less the same using either Chrome or MS Edge

Let me reformulate as action/expectation/observation

Action: With a gallery picture displayed, use the piwigo scaling icon to select the size that's already checked as being displayed.
Expect: either no response (as no actual change has been directed, or else the mage redisplays the same as it was.
Observed on machine with 300% scaling: the image re-displays at a different, much larger size.
Observed on machine with no (100%) scaling: the image re-displays per expectation

Based on this, it appears that the initial display is not considering the windows display scaling setting, while the re-display is, leading to inconsistent rendering.

Second observation:
Action: With a gallery picture displayed, and the user having set a specific desired display size, navigate to the next or prior image
Expect: The new image should respect/maintain the user-directed display size.
Observed: the next image appears to again calculate an 'optimal' display size and switches to that. The display scale menu reflects that a different size is current.

FMPOV--at least within any particular album, either the display should accord with the user's last directed scaling setting, or the user should have an option to designate their setting as 'sticky.' As things currently stand, a user with a small. up-scaled hi-def display like my wife's is forced to resize the display every time they hit 'next.' It's not a good experience :-(
bobD

#4 2019-07-24 20:53:00

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

4k on 15"... don't think that a good technological choice but certainly a good marketing one

I did understand perfectly your problem and I did use the Windows zoom
the script is made to calculate the optimal display based on actual box size. Sounds quite hard to me, to change that behavior specifically for people zooming (windows or browser) : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/171 … n-browsers
the real bug here is the one reported on your first observation ; the second one is an enhancement

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2019-07-25 01:21:38

rbdawson
2019-07-23

To a certain extent they're both enhancements, since the observations would be the same in 2.9--they're not new behavior, simply violations of the principle of least astonishment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle … tonishment
bobD

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Image display scaling not consistent on Hi-def windows laptop

Board footer