Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Better EXIF/IPCT display

#1 2019-10-11 22:12:52

kmorwath
2019-10-11

Better EXIF/IPCT display

Hi,

I like the new theme, but I believe the EXIF metadata box can be greatly improved.

First of all, users should be able to scroll it independently from the photo, especially if many fields are displayed. Some fields could also be displayed on the same row to better use the available space and avoid big empty areas, especially when label and values are always quite short (i.e. aperture, ISO), and don't risk to overlap.

Better labels should be used, i.e. "ApertureFNumber" is a bit ugly and redundant, Aperture f/2.8 tells everything and looks nicer - if the label could be customized in the settings/language file even better.

I would also like to hide the prev/next thumbnails,

Attached an image from Canon Irista which display the data in a way I find pleasant, with a good use of the available space, with a layout very alike the one Piwigo uses - in a box at the right side of the image.

Thank you,

Kmorwath

Piwigo version: 2.10
PHP version: 7.3.10
MySQL version: 5.7.27-log 
Piwigo URL: <not publicly available>

#2 2019-10-12 01:56:07

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Better EXIF/IPCT display

#3 2019-10-12 18:33:10

kmorwath
2019-10-11

I have it installed, it does improve a little, but not much. The data still scroll the whole page, including the photo, which is a ugly effect, especially for a "responsive" UI.

Users today expect the photo to stay in place while others information scrolls/are displayed or not. See the example image, the photo moves and gets clipped as the user scrolls to see more EXIF data. Add some IPTC data and the image could not be even displayed anymore.

The list is still a single column with a lot of wasted space which doesn't look elegant. Data are always shown below the title even when both are short enough to be kept on the same line. No way to organize them in some "blocks" with some sort of separator for better readability.

Some data aren't shown very well, i.e. the aperture value doesn't display the f/ symbol. Labels also are often uselessly long and redundant - really "Aperture Number" is better than "Aperture"? Or "Exposure time"? It gives the impression of something amateurish, compared to what people are used now to see elsewhere.

I'll look into the Piwigo code and the plug-in if there is a way to add some improvements, but I'm not really a web developer and my skills in the field are very limited. If I can make some improvement I'll share it with you.

Thanks.

Last edited by kmorwath (2019-10-12 18:33:54)

#4 2019-10-12 18:55:49

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

you could  use a theme like bootstrap darkroom that has icons for exif items
demo https://pwgdemo.kuther.net/picture/57-o … /3-flowers
but you could also build your own plugin that does this

•  » Requests
  •  » Better EXIF/IPCT display

Board footer