Announcement

#16 2020-01-05 12:17:27

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Clean install, new Piwigo user, JSON error adding user

derrickpeavy wrote:

I don't want that on my plate. I want to install, use and move on.

If you expect perfection from free, open-source, community supported software then you are dreaming. Get a paid product (it still won't be perfect but at least they will be compensated for listening to your entitled whining.)

derrickpeavy wrote:

problem is the attitude that is prevalent throughout the forums... I as an end user should not have to solve a problem ... a developer should ... It's not that hard.

Ah yes. The indignant expectation that the developer who worked thousands of hours on a program, gave it to you for free, now is obligated to hop to your aid when your software doesn't work, and lead you by the hand to the answer. We should all envy your healthy attitude. :)

#17 2020-01-16 14:35:31

jemostrom
2015-04-29

derrickpeavy wrote:

As for WordPress, I am skeptical of using it. However, the Enviro and Foo plugins are being used on thousands (tens of thousands?) of sites with thousands of photos. Foo seems like a better choice because it adheres to the WP standards a bit more. To me the problem probably is not Piwigo or WordPress, but the connection and capacity of the server.

FWIW, I've always found a WordPress solution to be pretty bad solution for photo albums and I gave up on that a long time ago. And no, I don't use Piwigo either ... I can't get it to work on the hosting I have.

#18 2020-01-17 09:31:04

rocket
Translation Team
2012-07-06

derrickpeavy wrote:

Second, the requirements to run the package. I have a clean 18.04 LTS system on my own server, 48 GB of RAM, RAID0 SSD's in a datacenter. I run the latest PHP, MySQL, Tomcat and Java.  But for Piwigo, there are several recommended tools (not required, I know), found here >> https://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user … ll:before.  Those were not a problem, but the average user might have a problem even being allowed to install these things. Though with virtualization, it's less of a problem.  Biggest hurdle was ImageMagick. Ubuntu is stills spitting out Image Magick 6. I rely on ImageMagic for another application and so took the practive step to compile version 7 from source before installing Piwigo to avoid any headaches later on.

I don't know your circumstances but from system administration perspective "48 GB of RAM, RAID0 SSD's in a datacenter", running on Ubuntu, single node that hosting Piwigo/WP/whatever -  that is very impractical setup (heh... nightmare), though I realize that you can have 200+ projects running on same machine, same OS, which is even worse. 
Don't see any problems with additional packages, just try to use software which fits needs (CentOS, Debian). Piwigo is much less problematic as beasts like Magento. If administration is somthing hard and unfriendly then you can just buy preconfigured (managed) hosting or....   hire someone to do it on your own hardware.

derrickpeavy wrote:

I have about 500 GB of photos I want to store and I don't want the headache of both dealign with the code and securing the photos for life.

As all of us here. But "life is not a bed of roses" So you can complain or contibute. Contrubuting is a way to solve problems and make life better. Piwigo has a bugtracker https://github.com/Piwigo/Piwigo/issues you can check it and ask someone how you can help. Your help can move project forward.

derrickpeavy wrote:

Finally, the mobile theme. Does't work very well.

I use "elegant" theme for years and now running on PHP7.2 and lataset Piwigo, MariaDB 10.3, which is on my own cloud stack and it runs so fast and smooth that I'd like to give a hug for all those people, developers who put so much efforts to become it possible today (PHP user since PHP3). You can try it, it is mobile freindly.

derrickpeavy wrote:

I am sure that the developer(s) of Piwigo have put in thousands of hours and are surely stressed at times. However, the attitude is a real killer. Today, with so many WordPress themes and virtualized storage solutions (Digital Ocean), people have options. A bad attitude can kill a project.

There is no bad attitude to you here. You asked for solution, someone gave you an answer. You started to critise everything, like you are the boss and everybody here must fix bugs for you. Is that Piwigo's community bad attititude to you? Does Lightroom\Windows\IOS has no bugs or they resolved immidiatly? The great thing of open source that you can fix bugs by yourself or manage solution (hire someone, donate) by yourself which I persanally consider to be a grown-up approach.

#19 2020-01-18 18:10:26

repiuk
2019-09-18

I have exactly the same problem tried the solutions mentioned in this topic (at least two editing user_backlist_backend.php and  config_default_inc.php.

Piwigo checks all my wishes with Bootstrap darkroom, photoswipe and GTthunb. I was planning to migrate my koken site until I hit this error. I wouldn't like to get stuck.

#20 2020-01-18 22:41:50

ewiley
2020-01-18

rock wrote:

Hi.

Disclaimer: I am not the expert, take the solution I used below with a grain of salt ;)

0) Make a backup of ./admin/user_list_backend.php in case if the changes below causes a problem.

1) vi ./admin/user_list_backend.php

2) Modify the line below
GROUP_CONCAT(name ORDER BY name SEPARATOR ", ") AS groups
to
GROUP_CONCAT(name ORDER BY name SEPARATOR ", ") AS grps

3)Modify the line below
$groups_of_user[ $row['user_id'] ] = $row['groups'];
to
$groups_of_user[ $row['user_id'] ] = $row['grps'];

4) save your changes

5) Clear the cache in your browser

6) Reload the piwigo web page and to Admin -> Users -> Manage

I believe that "groups" is a keyword  that MySQL 8.x.

Hopefully, this works for you.

I would just like to thank rock, and can confirm the changes to user_list_backend.php fixed the problem for me.  I'm running on Ubuntu 19.10 with MySQL 8.0.

#21 2020-01-18 22:46:07

repiuk
2019-09-18

After disabling php_error I got the Java error. This solved the java error

Thanks!

rock wrote:

Hi.

Disclaimer: I am not the expert, take the solution I used below with a grain of salt ;)

0) Make a backup of ./admin/user_list_backend.php in case if the changes below causes a problem.

1) vi ./admin/user_list_backend.php

2) Modify the line below
to
GROUP_CONCAT(name ORDER BY name SEPARATOR ", ") AS grps

3)Modify the line below
$groups_of_user[ $row['user_id'] ] = $row['groups'];
to
$groups_of_user[ $row['user_id'] ] = $row['grps'];

4) save your changes

5) Clear the cache in your browser

6) Reload the piwigo web page and to Admin -> Users -> Manage

I believe that "groups" is a keyword  that MySQL 8.x.

Hopefully, this works for you.

#22 2020-02-07 11:25:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

If you read this thread, a solution was posted here and works and was quoted just before your post.

Or just open ./admin/user_list_backend.php in an editor and change line 204 from

to

Code:

GROUP_CONCAT(name ORDER BY name SEPARATOR ", ") AS `groups`

i.e. enclose the groups word in backtick quotes.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#23 2021-01-02 09:58:12

jerimiah797
2021-01-02

Greetings, future travelers.

I was using the docker-compose setup found over at https://github.com/moritzheiber/piwigo-docker and was seeing the same (symptomatic) json/php errors when trying to manage users right after installation. I looked at the error source in the browser dev tools and it said it couldn't find the (supposedly) built-in function 'encode_json'.

It turns out that the docker image dude used doesn't compile php7 with json enabled by default, so I had to add 'php7-json' to the list of php packages to install in the Dockerfile. Worked like a charm. I've got a pull request in over at github for that update.

It's ironic that it took several hours to figure that out just to discover that piwigo doesn't meet my needs. I use a network drive to store my photos and there doesn't seem to be a way to import a folder without copying all the pictures to some local folder. It also doesn't appear possible to let my wife administrate her own photo collection, separately from mine. And a regular user can't add photos?? I don't think I understand the use case for this software.

Cheers,
Jerimiah

Board footer