Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Full integration with Wordpress

#1 2020-02-04 06:08:49

peterpix
2015-06-14

Full integration with Wordpress

Hi

For years now I have wanted to integrate Piwigo with Wordpress.

Single sign-on is the most important.  I know there are one or more forum posts about how to do it but I have tried and failed to implement them.  You need to be a high-level coder/developer to have a chance of succeeding with this.

Also I can't get Piwigopress to show images, only links.  The Wordpress site says it is not tested with the latest version of Wordpress and has not been updated for a number of years.

What would be great also would to be able to pull a Wordpress featured image (main image for a blog post) from Piwigo (rather than having to upload the photo manually to Wordpress).

While I greatly appreciate Piwigo and its extensions and themes, and all those who give their time to this, I believe that I am not the only one who would like to see a full integration with Wordpress.

After all Piwigo is the leading gallery script and Wordpress is the leading blogging (and general CMS) script, so its a marriage made in heaven, if only they'd talk with one another!

Peter

#2 2020-02-05 12:49:07

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

Re: Full integration with Wordpress

Piwigopress works fine for me. I use it to display random images in a widget.

Synching software means it is becoming bloatware. If you want to blog, use Wordpress. If you want to show photo galleries, use Piwigo.

If you want to show some Piwigo images in Wordpress, just link the images directly.

#3 2020-02-11 23:05:44

damon18
Memphis, TN USA
2015-10-28

Agree completely @peterpix

Like a lot of folks, I used to use Menalto Gallery as a module in Postnuke websites, it was wonderful, I could allow users to create their own albums and upload photos.

Now that I've switched everything to Wordpress I haven't found similar functionality. Piwigo functioning as a full Wordpress plugin would be a beautiful thing.

Searching for Piwigo on Wordpress.org gets three plugins
https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/piwigo/

But none of them seem seem very active or showing support for the latest WP version.

The motivation I see for the Piwigo team is that Wordpress is SO BIG and a well supported Piwigo plugin could make Piwigo the go-to gallery for Wordpress and attract a lot more developers to the project.

Just my thoughts as an appreciative user.

#4 2020-02-13 08:46:23

Katryne
2016-12-03

Hello !
I use 6 different CMS for my websites. Not Wordpress. In the forum and the blog, I can pick images from the Piwigo, directly in the editor.

I could have integrated my full Piwigo with iframe in my blog, I tried it, it worked, but every page (album or photo) of the piwigo had the same address : the blog page where it was hosted and this is useless with indexing by search engines.

The script that I use to import my Piwigo pictures is not available anymore, the coder having chosen to remove it from download. It's a pity since it was really useful. My Piwigo is not only a gallery, it is also the place where I stock the pictures for all my websites.

http://photos.katrynou.fr/ v.14.1.0 https://album.chauvigne.info/ v.13.8.0
Système d'exploitation: Linux - Hébergeur 1&1-Ionos PHP: 8.0.28 - MySQL: 5.7.38
Bibliothèque graphique: External ImageMagick 6.9.10-23

#5 2020-02-22 12:59:40

peterpix
2015-06-14

Hi Katryne

I'd love to know how you are embedding your Piwigo site images into your other sites.  Are you using Wordpress on any of them!

Peter

#6 2020-02-22 13:34:41

Katryne
2016-12-03

Hello Peter !
I am not using Wordpress and I do not embed my Piwigo.

I use 5 or 6 different CMS and I do not embed any in one an other, because I want each of my pages to be fitted with a specific URL.

Look here for instance, (it's not smart or pretty, it's for testing purpose): https://katryne.legtux.org/pages/064-fa … rli-fr.php  : I embeded my Press review site in a page of the adHoc CMS. I can browse the site within the page, I can go anywhere via this page, search the ChroniKat, click on a keyword. But all my pages will have the same URL. How this embeded site could be shared, indexed by google since all the pages are at the same address ? It will be the same if the Piwigo was embeded in the Wordpress page.

For the 5 sites of our local history society, we have chosen to use 5 different CMS each of them with its specific address. We have tried to style the themes in a similar look, and on each site there are links towards the 4 others. I am neither a good coder nor a smart styler, so, I did what I could. Here is the basic site : https://revestou.fr/ and here is the Piwigo : https://photos.revestou.fr/

One of my friends managed to style the headers of his 2 sites to make them look completely the same, so that the visitor does not see that he goes from one site to an other. But I am not enough gifted for this.

http://photos.katrynou.fr/ v.14.1.0 https://album.chauvigne.info/ v.13.8.0
Système d'exploitation: Linux - Hébergeur 1&1-Ionos PHP: 8.0.28 - MySQL: 5.7.38
Bibliothèque graphique: External ImageMagick 6.9.10-23

#7 2022-03-25 03:42:14

Steel Rat
2017-10-10

"Synching software means it is becoming bloatware. If you want to blog, use Wordpress. If you want to show photo galleries, use Piwigo."

Pretty short-sighted. Some people like to do both.

I've been running a free gallery site for Role-Playing game maps and virtual objects since 2006. For a long time I used Drupal and Gallery2 (Menalto) as others have mentioned. But a few years ago, support for Gallery2 went away. So I found Piwigo.

While Piwigo is ok, it doesn't lend itself to creating a community, via forums and such with integrated access to the galleries. And it seems very few people want to have to register with yet another site just to discuss the gallery stuff.

I know this thread is a couple years old, but PiwigoPresss hasn't been updated in 7 years. I very much doubt it's going to work well, if at all, with current and future WP releases.

#8 2022-03-25 13:26:32

gueba
2021-12-31

Steel Rat wrote:

I know this thread is a couple years old, but PiwigoPresss hasn't been updated in 7 years. I very much doubt it's going to work well, if at all, with current and future WP releases.

Piwigopress still works like a charm with the  current release of Wordpress. It was meant to show specific pictures or albums from an existing gallery in the blog - and this is what it does.
There are a lot of gallery-plugins for wordpress with good integration. Why not use one of these?

What do you expect from OpenSourceSoftware? You can use it, you can change it and you don't have to pay for it.

If you don't like it - write your own!

#9 2022-11-26 15:52:08

Steel Rat
2017-10-10

gueba wrote:

Piwigopress still works like a charm with the  current release of Wordpress. It was meant to show specific pictures or albums from an existing gallery in the blog - and this is what it does.

As I said, it hasn't been updated in many years. I don't want that on my system. No smart admin would.

There are a lot of gallery-plugins for wordpress with good integration. Why not use one of these?

Can all of the Piwigo album structure, picture info, and all metadata be transferred into one of these WP galleries? I haven't seen one yet that will.

What do you expect from OpenSourceSoftware? You can use it, you can change it and you don't have to pay for it.

If you don't like it - write your own!

You assume an awful lot.

#10 2024-03-01 16:49:27

gus
2024-03-01

Hi!
Piwigopress no longer seems to work with actual Wordpress.
Does someone know an other plugin that still works?

•  » Requests
  •  » Full integration with Wordpress

Board footer