Announcement

#16 2020-03-20 02:49:39

mgrandpa
2017-01-02

Re: Synchronize will read tags from jpg but will not populate Keywords

I have piwigo running on a computer on my home network.    Piwigo is all that is running on this pc and my network points all incoming web traffic to this computer.   

Since everything is on my home network i can just use windows to copy files to the galleries folder in piwigo.

When I added the file you requested and ran admin\tool\synchronize, the file loaded correctly and piwigo keywords were correctly populated.

I guess you are right and there is something wrong with the data in my files.    The last program I used for this was Adobe Elements and there is no telling what happened to the files.

Thanks for all your help and time.

I can use batch manager to add the keywords and will but with 20,000 jpgs with multiple people it will take awhile.  Just thought since windows correctly shows these tags there would be some way to port them over to piwigo keywords.

#17 2020-03-20 03:08:39

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Fwiw, there's a bunch of xmpmeta data added (apparently by Adobe Elements) containing also Microsoft Photo 1.2 RegionInfo PersonDisplayName elements and some Iptc4xmpExt elements (country, province, city), in case you're missing those. Can be displayed with
exiftool -xmp:all Jd_Janae_1948_.jpg

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#18 2020-03-20 03:26:53

mgrandpa
2017-01-02

The only software on that pc is windows 10 fully updated, wampserver installed apache, php & sql
and piwigo

#19 2020-03-20 03:55:56

executive
2017-08-16

Not your server.

I'm saying the software used to add metadata to your images (Elements I presume) isn't compatible with the Piwigo's image handling  (which happens to be common as dirt image libraries used ubiquitously across the web).

#20 2020-03-20 04:42:40

mgrandpa
2017-01-02

Software used to add tags in all these files is windows file explorer.    Just right clicked on the file, click on properties\details\tags and enter whatever you wish.

#21 2020-03-20 06:20:58

executive
2017-08-16

Yes I just duplicated your results.

I stripped all metadata from an image. Then I added only a couple of keywords in the MS Windows properties. They were not recognized when uploaded to Piwigo.

then when I tried to read the IPTC data with exiftool I get

Code:

Warning: [minor] Fixed incorrect URI for xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto

reading exif metadata, I get

Code:

Orientation                     : Horizontal (normal)
XP Keywords                     : keyword1;keyword2
Padding                         : (Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)

and finally xmp metadata

Code:

About                           : uuid:faf5bdd5-ba3d-11da-ad31-d33d75182f1b
Subject                         : keyword1, keyword2
Last Keyword XMP                : keyword1, keyword2

so it seems Windows writes everything BUT iptc metadata.

@ erAck

it gets weirder. At first I was getting the same IPTC output as you (for his original file). Then I updated to the latest exiftool build. Now the iptc metadata I get is:

Code:

IPTC                            : (Binary data 30 bytes, use -b option to extract)

extracting it I get:
(see attached)

Last edited by executive (2020-03-20 06:38:29)

#22 2020-03-20 06:31:13

executive
2017-08-16

sorry grandpa the only advice I can give is don't use Windows for metadata. It doesn't seem to play nicely with others.

Sorry I'm not a regular user of Windows or Elements, but I've read that you can add metadata to your images in the Elements 'Properties' panel (found in 'Elements Organizer' or 'File Info').

There may a way to batch convert all the ones you've already done, but that's a rabbit hole I'd rather not go down.

Last edited by executive (2020-03-20 06:40:29)

#23 2020-03-20 15:30:19

mgrandpa
2017-01-02

I do appreciate your help.

Over quite a number of years I have worked with many programs on this and with Smart Albums Piwigo does everything I have wanted a system to do do I will continue to use Piwigo.   

At least I know Piwigo is working as designed.

Thanks again

Mike

Board footer