Announcement

#1 2019-12-19 20:45:07

mastinpe
2019-12-19

Newbie Question: Does PiwiGo manage file storage and folders?

Greetings,

Newbie question: How does PiwiGo manage files?  Does the application manage where files are stored or does it simply store a reference to an existing file’s location?  I have all my photos organized into folders by year, month, and named with a date/time stamp.  Will it reorganize my existing file structure or leave it in tact?

Thanks!

Paul

#2 2019-12-20 03:56:42

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Newbie Question: Does PiwiGo manage file storage and folders?

#3 2019-12-20 13:30:48

Emk
2019-12-20

Hi

I'm completely new to Piwigo, just started a few days ago, but I was struggling with this same issue. My pictures are also organized in folders by date. Im self hosting Piwigo on my own home Linux server so I have full access to it. So what I have done is to create a symlink for the Piwigo "galleries" folder to my picture folder. After synchronization Piwigo now has all my pictures in an album named after my pictures folder and with sub albums by date.

I have  gone ahead and created albums in Piwigo for how I want to display my pictures e.g. family, abstracts, street photography, flowers etc I'm now tagging all my pictures with these album named and moving them to those albums from within Piwigo. That way my original images organized by date are never going to be changed by Piwigo.

So far it seems like it will work fine. Id be interested in how you solve the issue. I plan on doing a detailed write up on what am doing, just to get some advice from the experts here.

#4 2020-03-17 07:59:34

landyvlad
Brisbane, Australia
2017-08-01

Emk wrote:

I plan on doing a detailed write up on what am doing, just to get some advice from the experts here.

Contributions of that kind are every welcome :)

piwigo - because photobucket can suck my .....

#5 2020-03-27 20:24:14

Emk
2019-12-20

landyvlad wrote:

Emk wrote:

I plan on doing a detailed write up on what am doing, just to get some advice from the experts here.

Contributions of that kind are every welcome :)

I did explain everything here:

https://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29878

Board footer