Announcement

#1 2020-07-17 18:39:19

Eddejessup
2020-07-01

Is Piwigo dead ?

Hi,

After a lot of setting up and tweaking, am almost ready with the solution I was after. However some things alarmed me during the process..

!) Age of the extensions without updates, some going back 10 years or so.
2) Lack of response in the forum

I posted about security, and I think I have something in place that will help, as well as backups and a few other things, but no one is really saying anything.

See a lot of posts asking questions that never get answered, my own included about showing a user a link to their albums in a block or on a menu.

It's a bit worrying, so am thinking I might have to cut losses and move to other software (after a lot of work with this). I'm not being bitter, I know this software will have taken a long time and it's been done voluntarily. In the same way I'm setting up a site for people to use, taken a long time and voluntary. So just wondered if I'm wrong and it is all still due to get amended or developed further ?

Best wishes

#2 2020-07-17 19:20:48

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Is Piwigo dead ?

Hi Eddejessup,

Let me check the latest news : [Forum, topic 30372] Piwigo 2.11 beta1. It's 1 month old, and talking about the upcoming 2.11 version.

Let me check the coding activity on https://piwigo.org/coding-activity : more than 20 commits this month. Doesn't look dead at all ;-)

Do you see tons of spam on this forum? No, because it takes us quite some time to moderate them ;-)

Don't worry, Piwigo is active. Your topics are interesting and will get answer (from me, at least).

#3 2020-07-17 19:23:17

Eddejessup
2020-07-01

Hey..

Was genuinely curious, please don't be offended. Just considering options and as said the age of the code on the extensions was puzzling.

Am glad it's still under development, over the moon in fact, because from all I can see, nothing really comes close to its flexibility.

Sorry if I upset.

Am desperate for code to show a link to the users albums, so they don't have to scroll through the categories to get to them. Am working with a PHP guy to try and solve. Also trying to find a way to allow the FCKeditor to be used by members to edit descriptions etc.

Been a steep learning curve, but people love what's there already.

Last edited by Eddejessup (2020-07-17 19:28:23)

#4 2020-07-17 19:31:00

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

You didn't upset me at all. Instead it made me smile a bit ;-) And maybe it was a smart way to make me react. Congrats!

Some extensions are indeed quite old and have not received updates for a long time. That doesn't mean they don't work anymore, just that they are mature and stable :-D

We're trying to make obvious the project is active. From the home page showing the date of the latest stable release (March 27th, 2020) to the "news" page or "coding activity" page. I think it's very important to show the project is alive!

#5 2020-07-17 19:35:32

Eddejessup
2020-07-01

Am glad I didn't offend.. worried for a bit there.

When I installed PWG from cpanel it had a 2020 latest release, so felt confident there. As you say the plugins function (had a couple that didn't) I just wondered about php versions and deprecated lines etc. Anyway.. am glad it's all holding together.

Would really appreciate any feedback on my posts, I did try to help community with security and backup advice as well as image optimisation solutions. :)

Definitely if you get time would appreciate any kind of guidance on my two problems.

Didn't phrase it to get your attention, well maybe a little ;)  I know how tough it is, trying to keep things going trust me.

#6 2020-07-18 01:00:09

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Piwigo is dead. Long live Piwigo!

:-)

Board footer