Announcement

#1 2020-11-29 00:34:54

jclifford
2019-01-06

IPTC metadata present but not functioning

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

I  have recently uploaded an album of images to my Piwigo installation which is set to display images showing a caption from the IPTC_description and author and keywords from the appropiate IPTC fields.

For most of these images no caption or other information is shown, but if I click the Metadata icon all five  IPTC fields which I use are correctly listed under the image.

A few of the images are displayed correctly; these are ones created by a different person - which means using a different camera.  All the images have keywords which I have attached using Windows Photo Editor (now defunct) or more recently Photoshop Elements 11.

Could anyone explain this behaviour or, more importantly, how I can correct it?

I have taken screenshots showing the two types of image display but cannot see a way to attach them to this post.

Piwigo 2.10.2 Check for upgrade
    Operating system: Linux
    PHP: 7.2.34 (Show info) [2020-11-28 18:17:59]
    MySQL: 10.3.22-MariaDB-cll-lve [2020-11-29 00:17:59]
    Graphics Library: ImageMagick 7.0.10-10

Piwigo URL: https://www.johnclifford.me.uk/piwigo/

#2 2020-11-29 01:23:14

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: IPTC metadata present but not functioning

File upload is disabled in this forum, you can use imgur.com or some such.

More straight forward, can you provide example URIs of an image for which an existing iptc_description is not displayed and of an image where it is displayed?

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2020-11-29 10:27:45

jclifford
2019-01-06

Thanks for your guidance.

Not displayinyg: https://www.johnclifford.me.uk/piwigo/p … ategory/85

OK  https://www.johnclifford.me.uk/piwigo/p … ategory/85

I was wrong to say that no IPTC data is displaying, the Keywords are OK.

This is my config setting:
<?php

$conf['show_iptc'] = true;
  $conf['use_iptc'] = true;
  $conf['show_exif'] = false;
  $conf['show_iptc_mapping'] = array(
    'iptc_title' =>       '2#005',
    'iptc_creator' =>     '2#080',
    'iptc_keywords' =>    '2#025',
    'iptc_headline' =>    '2#105',
    'iptc_description' => '2#120',
    );
  $conf['use_iptc_mapping'] = array(
  'Keyword'         => '2#005',
  'keywords'        => '2#025',
  'author'          => '2#080',
  'comment'         => '2#120'
  ); 
?>

#4 2020-11-29 17:22:43

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

I don't get a caption displayed for any of those two. Maybe I misunderstood. What exactly are you expecting to see for each?

The large 1470 image displays Author, Created on, Keywords.
The small 1492 image displays Keywords.

Or do you mean the description/comment that is displayed when hovering with the mouse over the image?
For the large image that's "family at tea", for the small image it's file name derived.

The reason for that could be that in the large image the "family at tea" occurs not only as IPTC Description but also as EXIF XP Title, but the small image's "At the Chequers Inn, Fladbury" is only in IPTC Description; so maybe that's only taken from the EXIF field.

AFAIK the title/caption is used to populate the database's table piwigo_images name field during upload/sync, which in turn is used to generate the HTML img title attribute, and if no title is present then the file name is used.

But then, the table's name field should map to the IPTC #005 field (ObjectName or Title), but in your use_iptc_mapping that's
  'Keyword'         => '2#005',
which is wrong (there is no table piwigo_images column `Keyword` and it wouldn't make sense here) and instead should be

'name'            => '2#005'

Then again, only the small image has an IPTC ObjectName field with "at the Chequers Inn, Fladbury" (notice small "at" vs capitalized "At"), the large image doesn't have the field.

So it looks tempting for your purpose to map the IPTC Description to the database name field like
  'name'            => '2#120'
but to me that doesn't look right and I'd rather insist that the generating software writes proper EXIF and IPTC data populating all necessary fields (or you fill them if it does).

Confusing hell, yes.

#5 2020-11-29 21:48:47

jclifford
2019-01-06

On my computer the 1470 image definitely has the caption "family at tea" showing under the image and above the author, date created,  keywords and album name, so I do not understand why it does not show to you.

The 1492 picture has no caption, no author and no date created - I want it to show these for all pictures.

I have deliberately tried to set the Piwigo Title/2#005 field to blank because I was getting a lot of instances where some images showed the title and some the file name instead.

All the images have the same IPTC fields filled with text when "File Info" is displayed in Photoshop Elements, but there is no field named "Objectname".  What puzzles me in the results when displayed on Piwigo is that the only difference that I can see is that of the original camera. I was wondering whether one camera created the "correct" structure of IPTC metadata on its images but others did not and it had to be added by software on a computer in a way that caused problems for Piwigo.

Another faintly possible cause of problems is that all the images were previously displayed on Flickr and I downloaded them from Flickr (with Flickr generated album and file names) when I switched to using Piwigo on my own website.

#6 2020-11-29 22:19:09

jclifford
2019-01-06

I have just noticed another difference between the two pictures - the 1492 smaller picture IPTC had "At the Chequers Inn, Fladbury" repeated in the Description and the Title fields. I deleted it from the Title field and uploaded it with a different filename and it now displays correctly. See

https://www.johnclifford.me.uk/piwigo/p … ategory/85

#7 2020-11-30 00:36:31

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Darn, I somehow must have overlooked the caption below the 1470 one because I see the full picture but the caption is just below the window bottom end..

IPTC embedded in XMP usually is not created by cameras but the archiving/tagging/editing software instead.

Ok, the xmpmeta block from the now uploaded 1496 image looks different from what it was before..
Now there is
xmp:CreatorTool="Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0 Windows"

and the old 1492 one is
xmp:CreatorTool="Elements Organizer 11.0"

but the already working 1470 one is also
xmp:CreatorTool="Elements Organizer 11.0"
and its xmpmeta is quite similar to the old non-working 1492 one, though also doesn't have "duplicated" 'family at tea', it's only in Description.

However, there's a bit less data now in the new xmpmeta and some additional including edit history, but the file is larger, I presume you saved it using different options or with another file format filter. That also may make a difference.

#8 2020-11-30 11:47:47

jclifford
2019-01-06

I have changed my config to:
<?php

$conf['show_iptc'] = true;
  $conf['use_iptc'] = true;
  $conf['show_exif'] = false;
  $conf['show_iptc_mapping'] = array(
    'iptc_creator' =>     '2#080',
    'iptc_keywords' =>    '2#025',
    'iptc_description' => '2#120',
    );
  $conf['use_iptc_mapping'] = array(
  'keywords'        => '2#025',
  'author'          => '2#080',
  'comment'         => '2#120'
  ); 
?>
and deleted/reloaded the photo set and all is now hunky-dory.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I think the difference you noticed in the CreatorTool field is because Elements comes as two separate programs, Editor and Organiser, with minimal links between them.

Board footer