Announcement

#1 2021-03-24 15:19:42

Vinxi
2021-03-15

Is Piwigo Really for Photographers?

Piwigo is not for photographers. Piwigo is a toy for coders. I love everything it does, the tags/filters/search are great, plus a lot more. But hey, if you can't use this beast out of the box, then get ready to start coding.

For example, I'm using the theme bootstrap darkroom. You've seen that header menu stuff on top, right? Well let's align everything to the left instead of to the right. Forget it.

Piwigo is probably amazing. I actually love it after playing around for just two weeks, and my site is running Piwigo today. But to get it half-way customized does take a bit more coding than saying "hello world". I hope I am foolish enough to continue with Piwigo because it is surely a great gallery.

Vinxi

piwigo 11.3.0 on my server

#2 2021-03-24 15:56:10

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

Re: Is Piwigo Really for Photographers?

From piwigo.org

Manage your photo collection with Piwigo

Piwigo is open source photo gallery software for the web. Designed for organisations, teams and individuals.

Not sure where it purports or claims to be otherwise...

or, as you said:

But to get it half-way customized does take a bit more...

(emphasis added)

And, on a personal note, your comment leaves little to be constructively considered.

#3 2021-03-24 16:01:31

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

A photographer CAN use Piwigo out-of-the-box. (s)he can select the theme (s)he wants and use it "as it is proposed". No problem I think (actually I'm sure of that, I see thousands of Piwigo users doing it).

Now if you want to customize Piwigo, you need a few more technical skills, for sure. The important thing is that you CAN customize a Piwigo. You don't HAVE TO, but you CAN do it. Some other tools simply forbid to customize. So what should we do: forbid customization so that it's simpler?

#4 2021-03-24 17:27:15

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Piwigo can handle images.

You are complaining about presentation. That part requires work regardless. Plg and the staff are not mind readers auto magically presenting you with a done deal. This is free software, if you want more customization and are unable to do it yourself, well then you might have to pay for it.

#5 2021-03-25 05:22:40

executive
2017-08-16

I would love to know about all the other free modern galleries as powerful as Piwigo, that you can customize without any coding.

#6 2021-03-25 06:13:43

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

@Vinxi

You can ask help free on forum !

Piwigo is available in your language

you can help piwigo by participating in the translation  -> https://piwigo.org/translate/

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#7 2021-03-29 03:54:35

ckayfish
2021-01-25

I missed the part where you recommended a free alternative that does exactly what you want. Piwigo works exactly as advertised.

--- devOps engineer; sometimes coder. I make your apps run with 99.999% uptime ---

#8 2021-03-29 16:42:38

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Actually there is one that seems pretty good. I have only tested it a bit so far, but Mr Piwigo and the team might want to look it up for ideas and functionality. It looks a bit complex and overworked, but has quite the set of functions.

https://www.resourcespace.com/

Now, it is not obvious that you can actually get it on your own server, but the setup instructions are here: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge … l_overview

It is a bit of a mix between photo gallery and document storage. And free for your own setup.

Last edited by homdax (2021-03-29 16:43:28)

#9 2021-03-31 06:01:10

executive
2017-08-16

I couldn't find a demo of resourcespace

Board footer