Announcement

#1 2021-04-16 15:23:58

JohnB
2019-08-02

Using piwigo to edit metadata while leaving photos in place

I would like to use piwigo to help distributed users edit the metadata of a complicated photo album, but I want to leave the photos in their original directory structure, as that is key to their display by other apps. Piwigo seems keen on importing photos into its own structure and renaming them, which is of no use to me. Can I just ask it to work on an existing structure, writing back metadata using exiftool to the files there?

I know piwigo claims to write back metadata to files, but it would need to without import/export.

John

#2 2021-04-16 16:13:08

JohnB
2019-08-02

Re: Using piwigo to edit metadata while leaving photos in place

symlinks into galleries allows be to access my directory structure, but reveals more problems

1) My photos have spaces in the filenames, which is important to the other software, but piwigo won't accept. Is there a way to get piwigo to use spaces?

2) There is a big gap betweeen the metadata that exiftool shows and what piwigo does, and editing local/config/config.inc.php is only slowly bridging the gap, and even after the metadata is displayed, it doesn't populate the edit Properties page.

3) With so many photos, I really need to multi-select and apply keywords "all these photos are Dover Castle, all those have Fred Bloggs in", can piwigo do multi-select editing, and write back to IPTC:Keywords? Digikam is very powerful in this regard for example.

4) My directories have .fred.jpg thumnails to accompany fred.jpg, and I don't want piwigo to use them. Can a filter be applied to exclude files matching a pattern?

Last edited by JohnB (2021-04-16 16:17:47)

#3 2021-04-16 17:40:53

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Hi :-)

You can add photo by FTP

in your piwigo > Administration > Help > Add FTP

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2021-04-16 19:25:19

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re filenames, it is possible to adjust the $conf['sync_chars_regex'] variable content such that it excludes anything starting with a leading '.' dot character and also includes spaces. See [Forum, post 180115 by TOnin in topic 31106] exclude "._" files from scan.
The drawback is that for excluded files you'll get a warning during sync that doesn't matter though, see also that same post and a possible workaround changing one code line.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

Board footer