Announcement

#1 2021-04-17 08:44:38

extorn
2017-04-23

Piwigo Client

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

I thought it might interest those who are working on the official Piwigo Android App to see statistics for the Android App I wrote. It may help you to decide how much effort to put in it.

All figures are since middle of 2017 when the apps were released on google play:

Piwigo Free Version (Advert 'supported'):

Active user base (device count):

Steady rise in users from 0 to a peak of 2000+ in December 2019 before a steady drop to the current level of 1600 in April 2021

User acquisition (the number of users who tried the app on a device at some point)

9500 (total over all time).
It looks like a jagged mountain shape, most people tried it prior to January 2020 (interest is waning rapidly towards zero).

Piwigo Paid Version (one off fee - price has increased slightly since the start but not my much):

Active user base (device count):

700. Number increased steadily from January 2018, reaching a peak in December 2019 and have been steady since.

User acquisition (the number of users who tried the app on a device at some point)

1130 (total over all time - could be read here as purchases)
It looks like a jagged mountain shape. Interest dropped steadily until June 2020 and there has been a small resurgence since peaking in January.

Google take 30% of all revenue immediately (they've dropped this to 15% just recently but it wouldn't make a significant difference), the tax man takes more (UK based).

The number of hours spent developing are far in excess of total income in £GBP (before Google and the tax man took its cut).

In short, read these figures as you wish, but I don't think they're particularly positive.

Are the figures for the official app any more rosy?

#2 2021-05-12 07:38:06

extorn
2017-04-23

Re: Piwigo Client

If anyone has been wondering where this app went, I have removed it from the Google play store.
The reason is that I have found the app to be less reliable than I am happy to have associated with my name in the past few months. It's pretty solid on the whole (occasional crashes aside), but there is something not quite right with the HTTP connection side of things and it can mean that it can occasionally appear to hang.

I've had a look at migrating from AsyncHttpClient to OkHttp, but it involves a lot more work than I can justify putting into it.

Now that the Piwigo team have released their new app based on Flutter, the need for my app is much less - it's realistically better for Piwigo if everyone uses the official app and pushes for features in that.

If you're on the Piwigo team and some feature of my app is or would be useful to use in your app, I'm happy to chat about it and perhaps make a 'code donation' if that is appropriate.

#3 2021-05-12 16:05:12

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

extorn wrote:

Now that the Piwigo team have released their new app based on Flutter, the need for [Piwigo Client] is much less - it's realistically better for Piwigo if everyone uses the official app [...]

I think it's a good move.

extorn wrote:

If you're on the Piwigo team and some feature of my app is or would be useful to use in your app, I'm happy to chat about it and perhaps make a 'code donation' if that is appropriate.

Do you mean Piwigo Client was based on Flutter too?

#4 2021-05-12 16:12:54

extorn
2017-04-23

No, I have never used flutter, nor do I know what it is. If my code, all Java is useful then great, if not, then it can join the slag heap as most code seems to after a short period of use / usefulness.

#5 2022-02-16 17:23:03

kurbanium
2018-07-08

Do you have plans to put it back? I like your app because it offered random mode.

#6 2022-02-16 18:09:54

extorn
2017-04-23

kurbanium wrote:

Do you have plans to put it back? I like your app because it offered random mode.

Thank you for the feedback. Not at the moment. Random mode should be something the official app could add in fairly easily. Perhaps the best option might be to post a feature request to the developers.

:-)

Board footer