Announcement

#1 2021-09-17 13:28:56

QKnows
2021-09-17

Upload all Photos to Physical albums

Hello there,

I just started to migrate my Synolog PhotoStation to Piwigo. I am using physical albums, by smlinking the ./galleries/ folder to my NAS:/photo folder.

It works so far and I am totally happy how fast piwigo is instead of DS Photo.

But, I don't like how the uploads are handled. Is it possible to configure piwigo to use physical albums, especially when creating a new sub album in a gallery, that is a physical album or upload new photos (using the app or the web upload) in a physical album?

I would prefer to handle all albums as physical albums, is there some way to do that?

Thanks,

QKnows

#2 2021-09-17 21:52:55

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Upload all Photos to Physical albums

AFAIK web upload can't be used for physical folders/images, you'd have to use FTP or any other means (rsync, ...) to create subdirectories under galleries/ and place photos there and then sync in Piwigo. You can also use [extension by plg] Piwigo Import Tree Perl script to upload/sync entire directory trees.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2021-09-18 04:21:13

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

I use all physical albums and don't use the upload feature. I copy the photos into the appropriate folders on the NAS and then synchronize.

#4 2021-09-19 18:09:54

QKnows
2021-09-17

Thanks for the fast reply.

Anyway - that are bad news. Due to the missing possibility to handle all my uploads as physical albums make this app not usable for me...

I would appreciate a feature that make it possible to handle all uploads as physical album!

#5 2021-09-20 10:33:58

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

I don't get why someone using a NAS would need a web upload to physical folders but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#6 2021-09-20 15:47:01

QKnows
2021-09-17

Use-Case:

I want to replace DS-Photo with another solution, all photos/albums are stored folder based.
~10 users will upload their photos to the Gallery, also mobile-sync will be used
Not IT-people have to upload the photos to the correct folder, easiest way - use web-upload (or the piwigo app)

--> Upload from Piwigo app works like web-upload, right?

With physical albums the photos for each user are separately stored (permissions using i.e smb)

Should the time will come and I have to replace piwigo, I have a structured folder, with a lot of subfolders for each user, not one large folder with "who knows who upload what, without permissions and structure" just on large "blob"
It's easier to migrate to another app with physical albums.

My use-case seems not covered by piwigo. It's a nice app, but sadly not for my usage, or I might not understand how to use piwigo correct....

Thanks for the fast replay and help

Last edited by QKnows (2021-09-20 15:51:27)

#7 2021-09-20 16:45:19

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

There are FTP clients with GUI (for example FileZilla or WinSCP) so anyone who's able to use a file manager will also be able to upload images to their designated folder (if it's all about having them nicely separated and permission management).

#8 2021-09-20 20:18:03

QKnows
2021-09-17

Thanks for your idea, I will check out some apps for Android and iOS.

Some people who are really not IT affine would like to use it, too. So I have to explain and teach them how to use two apps. I will think about it.

Board footer