Announcement

#1 2021-09-26 20:19:18

dsm1212
2021-09-26

File storage coexistance with Photoshop album

Hi, I use Adobe Photoshop album to organize my photos but I'd like to have a web interface available. Can I point piwigo to my existing large hierarchy of photos and trust that it will not reorganize them in any way? If it moves them around it will get my Photoshop database out of sync. I'm sorry I looked through online doc and searched here but could not find a clear indication of how to do this or what the software will do.

i've got a powerful nas I built and will run piwigo as a docker image. I just want to know if it is safe to set my gallery folder to be the root of my photo hierarchy. Or is there another way to do this? Maybe I can keep the gallery separate from the photo storage? The workflow I'd like is to continue to add and tag photos through photoshop album but them have them show up in piwigo as well.

thanks

steve

#2 2021-09-26 20:49:28

dsm1212
2021-09-26

Re: File storage coexistance with Photoshop album

Ah, I found another topic that indicates gallery could even be readonly. So I think I'm good. It would be a nuisance, but I have a backup in case it does cause a problem.

steve

#3 2021-09-26 22:23:03

dsm1212
2021-09-26

Well photos were not changed, but a ton of php and directories were added to my pictures folder when I used it as gallery. I don't understand why in some other forum note here someone said gallery could be a link to a read only folder. Maybe the behavior I'm seeing is because of how I'm using docker? Can I leave /gallery in a new location and then sort of import my photos from a read-only location without copying them?

steve

#4 2021-09-27 12:22:33

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

I think you are confusing things with the galleries/ directory within the piwigo/ installation (that you may have renamed to gallery). You can place symbolic links inside the galleries/ directory pointing to directories of any mounted device and do "FTP sync" to import as albums. You are not supposed to install Piwigo in your photo album, which apparently you did (speaking of "a ton of php and directories were added to my pictures folder").

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

Board footer