Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » 1 click one-to-one zoom ... or any simple to use zoom function?

#1 2021-11-16 03:45:42

phs
2021-11-16

1 click one-to-one zoom ... or any simple to use zoom function?

Hi folks!

First off, I can't thank you enough for this great application.  As someone staying as far away from Google/Apple/Microsoft/etc. as possible, I find Piwigo to be a great potential solution.

When I first set up Piwigo, quite a few years ago, after running Gallery (can't remember the exact name) for a long time, I was really surprised that Piwigo didn't have a built-in zoom function, like almost every other gallery I can think of.  Seems to me this is one of the most important functions to have in any photo-viewer -- especially for pros and others who insist on pixel-peeping.  And, especially, since camera sensors continue to have more resolution available that can't be taken advantage of on most computer monitors, even with 2k and 4k displays, without some sort of zooming functionality.

Luckily, I found either themes or plugins that did allow this in Piwigo.  Until I upgraded to the latest version, all you had to do was hover the mouse pointer near the middle of the image and a "plus" sign would appear, and when you clicked it would zoom the image 1-to-1, and simply move the mouse pointer around to pan the image.  Unfortunately, it would open that zoomed-in view in a separate window that the user had to click on a small "x" to close, which should have been an unnecessary step in my opinion, but at least the user could easily zoom in on an image to fully examine it.

Sadly, after upgrading to the latest Piwigo version, I can't find any easy/obvious zoom functionality, and the former mechanism seems to be missing.  Again, this is really surprising, because I can't think of any other photo-viewer that doesn't have one-click, or at least very easy, one-to-one zooming available.

This functionality is critical for so many different reasons, from sorting images, examining technical photos in detail, enjoying the exploration of images in the highest resolution possible, and many other reasons.

So, if I'm missing something, please fill me in.  Otherwise, I'd like to make a request that this feature be considered to be built-in to Piwigo, as it is in almost every other gallery/photo-viewer out there.  Of course I realise that this means someone will have to invest their precious time and resources to develop such a feature, but I strongly feel that this is a major shortcoming of Piwigo, and is something that is pretty much essential to this sort of software.

Ideally, any image could be clicked on once to zoom, and again to go back to the default display size.  This seems to be the standard operation of other software, because it is such an important and useful function.  Another example is how this could work is the way dpreview does it with a simple one-click icon to zoom and then another click on the icon in the same location to go back to fit-to-screen.  Can anyone imagine using dpreview if folks weren't able to zoom in one-to-one on the images for critical viewing?

At any rate, whatever happens, again -- I'm thankful for all the efforts of the developers and community that make Piwigo, and I hope that once again it can be fully competitive with other image viewing software out there, almost all of which support super-efficient zooming functionality.

All the best, and thanks for your consideration!

Piwigo 12.1.0 Check for upgrade
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 7.4.3 (Show info) [2021-11-15 21:09:51]
MySQL: 8.0.27-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 [2021-11-15 21:09:51]
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.10-23
Cache size 3463.46 MB right now Refresh
Activated plugin list8
Admin Tools
AStat.2
Automatic Size
Community
Download by Size
Download Counter
LocalFiles Editor
Take A Tour of Your Piwigo

#2 2021-11-16 03:58:24

phs
2021-11-16

Re: 1 click one-to-one zoom ... or any simple to use zoom function?

OK -- I just discovered that the stripped-responsive theme does seem to continue to support zoom functionality.  It just doesn't seem to work consistently.  Some images show the icon to zoom and others don't, even though all images have much higher resolution than displayed by default.

Also, I was remembering it incorrectly -- when the mouse pointer is placed near the center of the image (seems to be kind of hit-or-miss), an icon of a magnifying glass shows up, and when clicked, the image is zoomed in, opening up in a new window.  Then there are options to zoom in fully, or click on an "x" to close the zoom window.  Unfortunately, it seems to be inconsistent, both in terms of what images are able to display the magnifying glass icon, and where the user needs to place the mouse pointer to be able to activate the zoom option.

If this were to be re-worked just a bit, I think it would nicely fulfil this critical function.

Thanks again, and sorry for any confusion!

•  » Requests
  •  » 1 click one-to-one zoom ... or any simple to use zoom function?

Board footer