Announcement

•  » Your Piwigo
  •  » Anyone with experience migrating from GalleryProject.org

#1 2020-09-15 00:25:33

lukewilbur
2020-09-15

Anyone with experience migrating from GalleryProject.org

I am looking to hire a person with experience migrating to Piwigo on a AWS server.

Please contact me

Thanks,

Luke

#2 2020-09-16 11:29:49

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Anyone with experience migrating from GalleryProject.org

Years ago I migrated from Gallery3 (and a little later another Gallery2) with the help of [extension by plg] Menalto2Piwigo and I don't remember any grave issue.

If you have album/directory or image names containing spaces you should rename them first to use underscore instead, e.g. with the command line of [Forum, post 175837 by damon18 in topic 29980] Another Gallery Successfully moved from Menalto to Piwigo

If your album or image names contain non-ASCII or non-alnum characters you want to modify the default

$conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[a-zA-Z0-9-_.]+$/';

adding it to local/config/config.inc.php i.e. with the help of [extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor. It may also work to add a space there instead of renaming all dirs/files if you don't have shell access.

Read How To Add Pictures ... by FTP because that (adding directories and files to the galleries/ folder and then doing the sync) is basically what happens in the conversion.

If you encounter problems search the forum for Menalto2Piwigo, others may have stumbled upon something similar, but ignore every thread before 2015.

Whatever you do, do backups first.. so you can restart from scratch.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2021-09-05 23:46:02

beepro
2021-09-05

I am finally migrating gallery3 today to Piwigo, mainly because flash player was required to upload photos to gallery3 and it is no longer working in Windows 10.

I used the Cpanel editor to edit the config.inc.php and changed the allowable characters...(e.g. adding space, %$ () etc) by the following line:

// permitted characters for files/directories during synchronization
$conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[a-zA-Z0-9-_.()%,$& ']+$/';

however, simulated "synchinization" still does not work.

eg.

[./galleries/Apis-mellifera/Clover-white/DSD_6816(2014-6-7-oh).jpg] PWG-UPDATE-1 (wrong filename)
[./galleries/Apis-mellifera/Clover-white/screenshot_2018-06-15 (1).jpg] PWG-UPDATE-1 (wrong filename)
[./galleries/Apis-mellifera/Clover-white/screenshot_2018-06-15 (6).jpg] PWG-UPDATE-1 (wrong filename)
[./galleries/Apis-mellifera/Clover-white/screenshot_2018-06-16 (1).jpg] PWG-UPDATE-1 (wrong filename)

should I try a different editor?

#4 2021-09-06 01:45:36

beepro
2021-09-05

ok, my bad. the config file was in the wrong folder.

synchronization might be still going so fullsize images are not working.

I wonder if I can maintain the same structure as the old gallery3 site, so that all URL linking to images would still work the same? it might not be possible?

#5 2021-09-06 17:04:09

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

beepro wrote:

$conf['sync_chars_regex'] = '/^[a-zA-Z0-9-_.()%,$& ']+$/';

You can't use a ' single quote / apostrophe character in that expression. Neither unquoted (which breaks that PHP string assignment anyway) nor quoted. If directories or files contain apostrophe, rename them first.

Including & ampersand isn't a good idea either, it may break in URLs mistakenly interpreted as URL parameters. Similar for % that could be confused with percent escaped hex encoding, or any other URI reserved characters. In general, see this (still unmerged) pull request that would add some comment docs.

beepro wrote:

I wonder if I can maintain the same structure as the old gallery3 site, so that all URL linking to images would still work the same? it might not be possible?

I doubt it's feasible. AFAIR the deeplinks differed by a lot. If you have same album names (and/or possibly set up permalinks in Piwigo) you could redirect like this in your .htaccess:

RedirectMatch permanent /gallery3/var/albums(.*) /piwigo/index?/category$1

And

RedirectMatch permanent /gallery3/(.*) /piwigo/

so it falls back to somewhere instead of giving a plain 404.

#6 2021-09-09 17:24:11

beepro
2021-09-05

Thanks. I figured that the ' might be bad and removed it. I will also remove % and &. because I do not have them anyway (I think).

#7 2021-11-18 21:27:14

beepro
2021-09-05

with gallery2, I was able to download the original photo after logging in, and click on each photo and download it (no water mark and original uploaded size).

it seems this is not possible with Piwigo?  if I want to go the backend to retrieve the original not-watermarked photo, where do I go?

#8 2021-11-18 21:34:25

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

It's also possible in the frontend, enable Admin -> Configuration -> Options, tab Display, Activate icon "Download this file" (might depend on theme used, not sure).

#9 2021-11-18 21:35:17

beepro
2021-09-05

another feature of gallery2 was to display
number of albums
number of photos,
number of visits
for the home page and each subdir also. I am not sure how to do this in Piwigo?

#10 2021-11-18 21:42:37

beepro
2021-09-05

erAck, thank you. yes, I found it is possible. the option was enabled but I must use the icon "download this image", which has no watermark.
If I use "save image" it still contains the watermark.

Last edited by beepro (2021-11-18 21:42:55)

#11 2021-11-18 21:48:20

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Admin -> Dashboard and Admin -> Tools -> History.
For more detailed statistics use [extension by grum] AStat (needs [extension by grum] Grum Plugin Classes). It may also help to use [extension by plg] No Stats For Robots along, and use [extension by Eric] Prune History to prune history to a sensible amount, otherwise AStat may get very slow after some weeks.
Prune History needs a small patch https://github.com/Eric-Piwigo/Prune_History/pull/1 that doesn't get merged as upstream appears to be dead.

#12 2021-11-18 22:02:56

beepro
2021-09-05

Thanks again. the history only shows a graph with visits, so I may have to try the extension.

however, even right now, if I click on a small photo to see the larger one, I have to wait for about 2-5 seconds...but this does not happen with gallery2.

Gallery2: http://ww2.beetography.com/index.php
Piwigo: http://ww2.beetography.com

these are on the same server.

#13 2021-11-19 00:10:38

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

Your Piwigo gallery seems to be much much faster to me compared to Gallery2  (This has been my experience with myself moving from G2 to Piwigo)

#14 2022-02-18 13:08:29

beepro
2021-09-05

is Prune history fixed? I clicked the link but no clue how to do this patch? it does not say which file, which line to modify?

thanks,

#15 2022-02-18 16:15:20

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

It does, if you take a look at the files changed view. It's plugins/Prune_History/include/functions.inc.php where you change line 185 from
AND date > "'.$startdate.';';
to

Code:

AND date > "'.$startdate.'"';

i.e. replace the one second-last ; semicolon with a " double quote character.
(the end of file line feed change is insignificant).

Or cd into plugins/Prune_History directory and run

Code:

curl https://github.com/Piwigo/Prune_History/commit/4320e2b6d671cf4d08f13458e6f1df2c4cc2f050.patch | patch -p1

I don't know why that pull request is still not merged even that Prune_History is a repository under the main Piwigo account and thus whether its development is dead or not shouldn't really matter. Apparently some Piwigo maintainers are not keen to merge fixes (this is not the only one that is still pending) or don't follow what's coming in and is pending.

•  » Your Piwigo
  •  » Anyone with experience migrating from GalleryProject.org

Board footer