Announcement

#1 2022-01-05 16:10:29

tommi
a galaxy far, far away
2021-01-07

Where does Piwigo-related data is stored? — Migration help

Hello to everybody. Disclaimer: I am not a developer and I never looked under Piwigo’s hood. Nevertheless, I am interested in understanding how and where Piwigo saves its own metadata—such as to what album an image belongs to, its description, its title, its tags, etc…

Are all of these information saved in a separate database, or are they embedded in the single image metadata, too?

I am trying to understand this in order to tackle how to handle portability with other services, such as Photoprism (see this discussion. Is there a way to read/reproduce outside of Piwigo the structure of albums and tags in/with Piwigo? Or, in other words: is metadata edited/assigned by Piwigo bounded to Piwigo itself as a software, or it is easily transferable elsewhere? How?

Furthermore, as the discussion linked above explains, I am trying to understand if there could be a way to transfer pictures from Piwigo to Photoprism (and, why not, vice-versa) directly, without having to download everything and re-upload all of the data on another software. It would be great to have something like Flirck2Piwigo plugin, but not limited to Flickr.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,
Tommi

Piwigo URL: https://images.tommi.space

#2 2022-01-05 17:29:21

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Where does Piwigo-related data is stored? — Migration help

Except the image files and thumbnails it's all in the database. Mostly tables piwigo_images, piwigo_image_category, piwigo_categories, and piwigo_image_tag and others if you want more metadata.

So, if you have a plugin or some other piece of software that reads out and bundles info in a sensible manner you could export images and album structure to any other photo managing software. Things are more easy if metadata is already written to image files (you could use [extension by plg] Write Metadata for that), then you just need to copy those (but would lose associations to albums unless you have physical synced albums) and any capable photo software should be able to import the metadata.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2022-01-06 08:32:35

tommi
a galaxy far, far away
2021-01-07

Thanks a lot!

erAck wrote:

Things are more easy if metadata is already written to image files (you could use [extension by plg] Write Metadata for that)

In other words, you are saying that I can write on the image itself all of the data that was previously written on the Piwigo database, thanks to [extension by plg] Write Metadata?

The only other thing that I do not understand is what you mean by “physical albums” here:

erAck wrote:

then you just need to copy those (but would lose associations to albums unless you have physical synced albums) and any capable photo software should be able to import the metadata.

Thanks again for your clarifications!

Best,
Tommi

#4 2022-01-07 07:00:01

AlexJuvion
2022-01-07

Some of my IT students are also searching for guidance on a Migration help. Thus, I would like to recommend this post to them and hope they can get useful stuff from here. Thanks.
Alex,

#5 2022-01-07 16:20:23

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

tommi wrote:

In other words, you are saying that I can write on the image itself all of the data that was previously written on the Piwigo database, thanks to [extension by plg] Write Metadata?

Not all, but it looks like name (title), description, author and tags (keywords) are written to the corresponding IPTC fields.

The only other thing that I do not understand is what you mean by “physical albums” here:

In contrast to the standard virtual albums, see How To Add Pictures ... by FTP. If you don't know what they are then you likely don't use them.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

Board footer