Announcement

#1 2015-03-05 15:04:31

INTEGRATIONIST
2014-02-24

Only admin can upload pictures in default piwigo installation?

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

I just want to be sure that I am really not misunderstanding things - having a better documentation could save many, many hours of your users, which must be asking themselves over and over again the same questions.

I am asking this explicitely in a new thread because it is such an obvious limitation (or misfeature) - of course you never want to have only one admin account to upload pictures, but one or more user accounts. This would be also a good measure to prevent metadata injection attacks, if the upload could be done (should be done!) only via a user account that has not admin privileges on the gallery.

So is this really true for Piwigo: Onlky admins can upload picture?

I found tthe community plugin as a remedy to this design limitation, and it looks great and seems to allow users to upload - is using this community plugin the only way to allow non-admin users to upload pictures?

If yes, then PLEASE add this information to the documentation.

Unfortunately, the browser uploader that comes with the Community plugin seems to be broken, it is not possible to upload anything with a non-flash browser.

So I can not find any way to allow non-admin users without flash to upload pictures.

Is there some way to overcome this limitation?

Thanks for your attention!

Piwigo version: newest

#2 2015-03-05 15:29:44

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Only admin can upload pictures in default piwigo installation?

Hi INTEGRATIONIST,

I just want to be sure that I am really not misunderstanding things - having a better documentation could save many, many hours of your users, which must be asking themselves over and over again the same questions.

[...] If yes, then PLEASE add this information to the documentation.

I see you find too little information on Piwigo.org presentation website (including the documentation). Don't hesitate to give more details about what you're expecting to read. That's the way we will know what's important for beginners with Piwigo.

So is this really true for Piwigo: Onlky admins can upload picture?

I found tthe community plugin as a remedy to this design limitation, and it looks great and seems to allow users to upload - is using this community plugin the only way to allow non-admin users to upload pictures?

You understand perfectly.

Unfortunately, the browser uploader that comes with the Community plugin seems to be broken, it is not possible to upload anything with a non-flash browser.

So I can not find any way to allow non-admin users without flash to upload pictures.

I have decided to keep the Flash uploader for Community because of Internet Explorer prior to version 10, see [Forum, post 155102 by flop25 in topic 17154] Community plugin, new generation for Piwigo 2.2+

Is there some way to overcome this limitation?

You can use other applications to upload to Piwigo, such as [extension by plg] pLoader for Windows, iOS application, plugin for iPhoto and so on. I know the HTML5 upload form would be nice and I really want to have it too. I just decided to postpone it for old Internet Explorer versions.

#3 2015-03-06 01:15:18

INTEGRATIONIST
2014-02-24

Hi, thanks for the quick answer.

So the ploader also works with non-admin users?

But for this the community plugin has to be enabled or does it allow also upload for non-admin users without the community plugin?

The answer to this question should be added to the documentation of piwigo and the ploader.

Regarding the Flash uploader: well, it still would be ok to have the flash uploader as a fallback.

Maybe my explanation was not clear enough: currently the community plugin upload does not work without flash, so if you have a system with no flash (very usual nowadays) you can not upload anything to the community - this is at least what i can see here from my tests. So for non-flash users: no upload at all. Broken.

Regarding the documentation: well, I understand that this is lots of work. You of course know Piwigo much too good to see what is missing. Many dead ends and so many things are not even mentioned - nothing about user rights, privileges, privacy, how user rights relate to albums, groups, membership options, nothing about how albums can be managed... I find myself constantly searching on the forums that should be in the docs.

I see the Tour Plugin does help a bit, maybe this should be extended with much more information, however, it will take lots of time.

Also plugin authors are giving very minimal information about what the plugin actually does and how it is used. Lots of trial and error. One should really write a big piwigo book and explain all the details.

Thanks for your attention!

Last edited by INTEGRATIONIST (2015-03-06 01:30:05)

#4 2022-10-03 05:30:14

Zhigang Wu
2022-09-30

Hi, I am a new user of Piwigo and facing same question of why none-admin user cannot upload pictures to Piwigo.

I have install Piwigo to my Synology NAS, I would like to try to use this to replace the Synology Photos. I like Piwigo's interface and hate Synology photos even not provide the quantity of pictures.

But I hope to have some friends who could visit (this is OK) and upload pictures to the albums which I allowed them to upload.

This pose was start in 2015, I am not sure until now Piwigo still cannot allow user who not have admin level to upload? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Zhigang Wu (2022-10-07 17:52:57)

#5 2022-10-03 11:38:21

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

It is still that [extension by plg] Community provides the functionality you seek.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#6 2022-10-07 17:52:04

Zhigang Wu
2022-09-30

Thank you erAck. I have tried the community plugin, it seems work fine.

One more question: where the picture stored? I tried to upload one picture, before and after approved by the administrator, I cannot find this photo on disk. (I could find pictures if I upload from browser or Piwigo App on iOS, they saved in upload folder; If you synchronize photos, I find I need to put photos /galleries/)

But I have no idea if I let user to upload photos, where the photos saved?

Thanks.

#7 2022-10-07 18:01:31

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Should be the same under the upload/ directory.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#8 2022-10-08 04:37:48

Zhigang Wu
2022-09-30

Yes, it's true! I have forgot the Piwigo upload will rename it file, that's why I have not searched what I had upload.

One more question about the Community plugins:

I was think the users should could see their sub-albums in the community album. But I found I have to set the user to admin level, otherwise he/she cannot see the album which I plan to let them upload picture, but they can upload pictures from browser.  (I have tried to login with the other users and could see upload from the menu)

P.S. I plan to create some users for friends in our running-club, they could upload pictures that they have taken by their mobiles.

I feel confused for this design. Because most users prefer to operate (view/upload) from mobile. But if I set them as admin, they can enter the backstage administration module from browser and can see all the pictures I have in my Piwigo.

Is there any better way to solve this problem? I hope users who I allowed to upload, they can see their own sub-album in community album in iOS App.

Thanks.

#9 2022-10-08 08:05:37

Zhigang Wu
2022-09-30

Hope Piwigo team could consider this proposal: set one more level between Administrator and User in status, such as Power User. which can manage content: photos/tags; Or let user (administrator to customize the user status, choose which function allow to which level, that will be great.

#10 2022-10-09 13:51:36

Katryne
2016-12-03

Hello ! That's exactly what I asked for several times. I want that these "power users" can manage the whole content of the site, but not the container. ie being able to create and manage albums and photos, but not the administration part of the Piwigo. I do not want them to manage other users, activate plugins, receive supervision emails ...

Community plugin does not give enough power. Today, I have to give administrator rights to my collaborators.

I would really appreciate very much these features to be implemented.

http://photos.katrynou.fr/ v.14.1.0 https://album.chauvigne.info/ v.13.8.0
Système d'exploitation: Linux - Hébergeur 1&1-Ionos PHP: 8.0.28 - MySQL: 5.7.38
Bibliothèque graphique: External ImageMagick 6.9.10-23

Board footer