Announcement

#1 2022-10-08 04:51:49

pm125
2022-10-06

Is privacy from web crawlers possible?

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

I am new to Piwigo and I am very excite to use it to share photos with family and friends. If possible, I would like to prevent my pictures from being accessed, over time, by web crawlers and other bots, so that they do not become part of the public domain that anyone can search through Google.

My questions are:

1. Is it even possible to make photos on piwigo invisible to web crawlers?

If the answer is yes, then here is how I was thinking of accomplishing this:

2. Make my albums private and require visitors to create a piwigo account and password, and give all users a permission level that lets them see the photos. However, having to create an account would be nuisance for some people.
3. Another way may to to change the settings for the "guest" account so that it has access to private folders. But I imagine that if any human can visit the site without logging in, then web crawlers are likely able to do so as well.
4. A compromise could be that I make a single account, e.g. "family" with password "member", and tell all my family and friends to log in using these credentials.

Would method 2, 3, or 4 protect my photos from web crawlers?

Environment

Piwigo 12.3.0

Activated plugin list 3

Piwigo URL: http://

#2 2022-10-08 10:36:52

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Is privacy from web crawlers possible?

2 or 4 would, 3 would not. Anyone or anything browsing the site not logged in is using the guest account.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2022-10-08 11:21:09

TOnin
1970-01-01

Hello,

I agree with @erAck

In order to ask obedient robots not to crawl public parts of your whole gallery, you can also set robots.txt file and/or use <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /> in pages html (for instance with [extension by ddtddt] Meta)

In order not to bother some of your family members, you can create accounts for them, add them to a group, and use album notification to send them a auto-login link. This link uses a temporary key 

Code:

// how long does the authentication key stays valid, in seconds. 3 days by
// default. 0 to disable.
$conf['auth_key_duration'] = 3*24*60*60;

#4 2022-10-09 19:12:36

pm125
2022-10-06

Thank you TOnin and erAck! Your suggestions answer my questions. For now I will proceed with a visitor account that everyone can use (method 4), and I will contact specific family members about creating an account for them.

I just realized that I am in the piwigo.org forum. At this point I am only using piwigo.com. I look forward to switching to hosting my own piwigo.org gallery, but this has to wait until I have more time.

I will keep erAck's code for creating a temporary link for auto-login for when I start using piwigo.org. I assume that your specific suggestion is not possible on a piwigo.com account.

Thanks again to both of you.

Board footer