Announcement

#1 2022-10-11 15:43:00

karelvdm
2022-10-11

*** RESOLVED*** Cant Upload first Photo - *** Newbie Frustrations ***

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function json_encode() in /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/include/page_header.php:53 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/index.php(350): include() #1 {main} thrown in /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/include/page_header.php on line 53

(Copy here your environment details, found on your Piwigo page [Administration > Tools > Maintenance])

I cant provide the above, as I get the error message posted above....

Piwigo URL: http:// ( Self Hosted)

Thanx

Karel

Last edited by karelvdm (2022-10-15 21:10:17)

#2 2022-10-11 21:12:28

karelvdm
2022-10-11

Re: *** RESOLVED*** Cant Upload first Photo - *** Newbie Frustrations ***

Wiped everything, Started from Scratch.....

Seems like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back......  New error when I try to upload first photo.....

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty Compiler: Syntax error in template "file:/usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/admin/themes/default/template/photos_add_direct.tpl" on line 473 "<select data-selectize="categories" data-value="{$selected_category|@json_encode|escape:html}"" unknown modifier 'json_encode' <-- thrown in /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/include/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php on line 473

Karel

#3 2022-10-12 01:14:43

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

json_encode() is a PHP function, make sure your server installation is complete. You may have to install a php-json package or some such. Searching the forum for json_encode turns up a dozen or so hits.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#4 2022-10-13 12:24:37

karelvdm
2022-10-11

Hi,

All these additional PHP functions should be part of the install notes, or the installation script should have checks in place, then notify the user that certain PHP functions are missing, and needs to be installed first......

now when I try to access the admin page I get the below message....

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_substr() in /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/admin/intro.php:362 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/admin.php(320): include() #1 {main} thrown in /usr/local/www/apache24/data/photos/admin/intro.php on line 362

Im at the point of giving up....

Karel

#5 2022-10-13 12:59:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

karelvdm wrote:

All these additional PHP functions should be part of the install notes, or the installation script should have checks in place, then notify the user that certain PHP functions are missing, and needs to be installed first...

I agree we should add some checks on install.php

However you must have a very minimal installation of PHP to not have json_encode or mb_substr :-/

#6 2022-10-13 13:12:40

karelvdm
2022-10-11

plg wrote:

However you must have a very minimal installation of PHP to not have json_encode or mb_substr :-/

Yes its a minimal install just for Piwigo at the moment to try it out..

But Im moving on to another project .......

Karel

#7 2022-10-13 17:39:20

karelvdm
2022-10-11

SO....

After sorting out the mb_substr error, I have YET ANOTHER problem...

https://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php? … 11#p184511

For those of you that have this working....
1. Is it Flawlessly working as advertised?
2. Is it a constant battle with missing add-ons or features that requires hours of googling in hopes to get it working...
3. Or is it just the initial install that's a nightmare to get working, that most newbies to Piwigo rather just give up and move on?

I honestly think I have been lucky to get this far, because I have extended knowledge of Linux/Freebsd.

Karel

#8 2022-10-15 09:25:04

karelvdm
2022-10-11

Good day everyone,

The last problem (hopefully) is that when I upload a photo from my phone (iPhone XR) I get an error message ,
Piwigo Server did not return a valid JSON object.

Edit:: The photo gets uploaded. But have to clear the upload queue, else the photo gets uploaded multiple times.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Karel

Last edited by karelvdm (2022-10-15 09:28:59)

#9 2022-10-15 21:09:21

karelvdm
2022-10-11

Evening Everyone,

I looked at several different Photo Managers for our photo's.
Piwigo ticked most of the boxes. However for me the installation was a nightmare. BUT[b/] that ended up being my own fault.  I'm using TrueNas to host most of my applications, and TrueNas is based on FreeBSD, I tried to install Piwigo on a FREEBSD Installation....  This does not work very well.

I ended up installing an Ubuntu 20.04 VM on my TrueNas, and the installation went smoothly. And I know have a functioning Piwigo install with NO ERRORS...

So for all the Newbies out there, use Ubuntu 20.04. (Dont go Higher, cause you WILL RUN INTO PROBLEMS WITH PHP8.)

[b] I sincerely apologize to anyone that I may have offended in any of my posts. They were mostly posted out of frustration.

Now I can install Piwigo on th ewife's phone and show her how to use it... YAY

Board footer