Announcement

#1 2023-01-24 18:10:24

Leopold Stotch
South Park
2021-01-21

Description-Box Size

I`m working with very long description-texts. So the standart-textfield-area in admin-center is way too small for my belongings, as i want the complete text schown.
I made it higher via admin-theme.css, TEXTAREA.description height. Way better, but not the ultimate solution. What i would like to do is:

- setting a minimum-height of e.g. 30em

AND(!):

- making the box adjusting its height automaticly, if the content needs more space, so the complete text is shown at once without the need of scrolling the textfield

"overflow" should do the trick, but i don`t get it working?!

Piwigo 13.5.0
PHP: 8.2.1
bootstrap darkroom (latest version)

Last edited by Leopold Stotch (2023-01-24 18:12:38)

#2 2023-01-24 19:54:21

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Description-Box Size

I don't know what you'd expect from overflow, but I'm quite sure it does not do what you think it does.. overflow (visible, hidden, scroll, auto) specifies what happens if content is bigger than the area specified, it does not change the area size.

So if you want "the box adjusting its height automaticly" then set

height: auto;

Btw, it's not minimum-height but min-height.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2023-01-24 21:43:20

Leopold Stotch
South Park
2021-01-21

erAck wrote:

I don't know what you'd expect from overflow, but I'm quite sure it does not do what you think it does.. overflow (visible, hidden, scroll, auto) specifies what happens if content is bigger than the area specified, it does not change the area size.

shouldn`t "visible" expand the textfield to the needed size?

erAck wrote:

already tried, does not work at all. the field-size stays the same and i still have to scroll

erAck wrote:

Btw, it's not minimum-height but min-height.

yes, i know. i actually just meant the behavior, not the term. sorry for confusion, my fault

#4 2023-01-24 22:56:15

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Leopold Stotch wrote:

erAck wrote:

shouldn`t "visible" expand the textfield to the needed size?

No. Visible visibly overflows the area. See
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc … S/overflow

already tried, does not work at all. the field-size stays the same and i still have to scroll

When displaying existing text, or when typing? Does another browser behave different? With auto the browser calculates the content area height.
Anyhow, check with the browser's Inspector what gets actually applied (is it even the TEXTAREA.description selector?) and where it might have been defined. See also
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/height

#5 2023-01-25 07:25:20

Leopold Stotch
South Park
2021-01-21

auto-height (yes, i know ;-)) isn`t working under any circumstances. no matter if for existing text, typing, adding words or copy-and-paste.

i`m using Firefox. i haven`t checked another brother yet, cause i won`t switch. my trust in google or MS is pretty much less than zero, so i don`t want to contaminate my PC more than it`s already done. if there is no solution to this problem, I`ll stick with altering the field zu an fixed increased size. i can live with that. but "auto" would be way better.

for an unknown reason the inspector doesn`t allow me to examinate the field within the admin-area. don`t know why, maybe I`m just too stupid.

but: when alterning the height-value in TEXTAREA.description to a defined value, the field reacts. when inceasing the height to e.g. "30em" - it does, what it should. so i`m pretty sure, i`ve got the right switch. but "auto" leads to zero success. that`s the disturbing thing.

#6 2023-01-25 10:42:35

Katryne
2016-12-03

Leopold, are you using FCK Editor plugin ? If so, you can enlarge the text area by stretching it by a corner.

http://photos.katrynou.fr/ v.14.1.0 https://album.chauvigne.info/ v.13.8.0
Système d'exploitation: Linux - Hébergeur 1&1-Ionos PHP: 8.0.28 - MySQL: 5.7.38
Bibliothèque graphique: External ImageMagick 6.9.10-23

#7 2023-01-25 11:00:27

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

I have no problem locating .description in the Inspector. And there I see that (for me) the element is inline calculated as

element {
    overflow-y: hidden;
    height: 78.4px;
}

Filtering for height displays just that and the

TEXTAREA.description {
  height: 6em;   <= overridden
  width: 40em;   <= overridden
  overflow: auto;
    overflow-y: auto;   <= overridden
}

So the actual .description height seems to depend on the surroundings and might be calculated with jquery.autogrow from admin/themes/default/template/include/autosize.inc.tpl included by admin/themes/default/template/picture_modify.tpl, don't ask me how that exactly works.. But changing it in the Inspector to auto and entering some newlines in the description area then grows the area if needed and the inline element calculation changes; for me.. I didn't try with changing .css files.

#8 2023-01-25 12:53:18

Leopold Stotch
South Park
2021-01-21

with the search-function i am now finally able to find the values you mentioned. thanks.

BUT: whe filtering for height and altering the value to "auto", nothing happens (for me). the textarea stays the same. probably a result of some strange local adjustments and setting i made.

whatever. i`ll stay for now with the increased fixed area-size. that`s simple and easy to reproduce after updates and it`s ok for me.

thanks for your help and time, i appreciate it

#9 2023-01-25 13:02:28

Leopold Stotch
South Park
2021-01-21

Katryne wrote:

Leopold, are you using FCK Editor plugin ? If so, you can enlarge the text area by stretching it by a corner.

manual enlarging is possible, but that`s not what i am looking for. i really want the area to fit its content automaticly, as i`m using piwigo more as an CMS than a pure gallery. that`s why i have descriptions up to a few thousand words per album. handling would be way easier for me, if the area would match the text on its own.

but as is said, for know i can live with the increased fixed size.

thanks for reply

Board footer