Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » LDAP Plugin for current Piwigo versions (12.x) needed

#1 2022-02-16 19:55:57

dinoschachten
2022-02-16

LDAP Plugin for current Piwigo versions (12.x) needed

Dear fellow Piwigians,

I'm currently working on configuring Piwigo as a web-based platform to make parts of a media archive accessible in an enterprise environment.

In this context I find it absolutely necessary to be able to implement LDAP to utilise existing accounts.

I was excited to see comprehensive LDAP plugins available for Piwigo.

However none of them have released versions compatible with any Piwigo releases newer than 2.10 and based on the tag search the topic of LDAP has not been discussed in these forums since 2015(!)

I have tried using the latest but outdated version 2.10 of https://github.com/Kipjr/ldap_login but failed to save any configuration changes (resulting in an error "Plugin not activated").

Any information on current ways to implement LDAP in Piwigo would be greatly appreciated.

My environment:

Piwigo 12.2.0
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 7.4.25 [2022-02-16 19:43:46]
MySQL: 5.5.5-10.3.31-MariaDB-0+deb10u1-log [2022-02-16 19:43:46]
Graphics Library: GD 2.3.0

#2 2022-02-17 11:27:41

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: LDAP Plugin for current Piwigo versions (12.x) needed

The plugin may need some Piwigo 12 compatibility changes, see https://github.com/Piwigo/Piwigo/wiki/T … -Piwigo-12
Probably best to talk to the author of recent commits on GitHub, Kipjr.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2022-02-21 14:49:09

dinoschachten
2022-02-16

Thanks @erAck !
I suppose that is the only thing left to do. I was secretly hoping that someone in a similar situation knows a solution or workaround or a plugin (or native implementation) I missed. ;)

Alright, yes, I'll get in touch with them about it!

#4 2023-02-23 15:34:36

claus.steinmassl
2023-02-23

Hey dinoschachten,

sorry for bringing up this old thread again, but I just ran into the same problem and haven’t found any solution so far. Do you have a solution, that is working with the current version of piwidgo?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Claus

#5 2023-02-24 01:17:33

dinoschachten
2022-02-16

Hi Claus,

no problem at all!

No, I have not solved the problem as I honestly grew a bit disappointed with certain shortcomings of Piwigo, and (in some cases) the lack of willingness by the developers to consider addressing them. Granted: This is an open source tool, and it does certain things well. I respect the work that was done here.

I do fail to understand the contrast between the tag line "Designed for organisations, teams and individuals." and the lack of support for LDAP integration, but more importantly RAW processing and server-side indexing/processing. These shortcomings made me look for other options as I find the latter two features non-negotiable in most environments.

One thing about the LDAP plugin: I got a notification the other day about this new issue on one LDAP plugin's Github page: [Github] ldap_login issue #67

I haven't looked closer to see if it provides insights that could help me make it work, as I personally have switched to PhotoPrism and intend to also migrate the organisation's DigiKam/Piwigo setup to PhotoPrism - which does not support multiple users just yet and (to my knowledge) is not looking to become a business solution with LDAP integration, however multiple users are coming, and an interface for plugins is planned which means they might end up getting LDAP support after all. Their rapid and active development, integration of RAW processing, server-side indexing and fantastic existing as well as upcoming features already convinced the hell out of me :D

Kind regards
Dino

#6 2023-02-24 09:29:03

claus.steinmassl
2023-02-23

Hey Dino,

thanks a lot for your fast response!

Ich totally get your point. I looked at different tools, too, and Piwigo seemed to come closest to my needs due to its extension architecture and the options that offers.
I need 30 (yearly changing) people to work collaboratively on the photo collection. So multi-user support is a must have for me. This is all good with the community extension, but I don't want to manage the accounts twice and I also don't want the users to think about different logins for different tools.

I will have a look at the github issue and see, if I can come up with something that works.

Thanks a lot! :)

Cheers,
Claus

#7 2023-02-26 15:00:49

kipjr
2023-02-26

hi,
I really would like to help but I'm currently very limited in time. Futhermore I was trying to implement Azure AD so you'd have LDAP(S), AzureAD and Active Directory (using LDAP(S)). If anyone could help me reviewing the code and propose some changes that would greatly improve the progress.

#8 2023-02-27 10:18:22

claus.steinmassl
2023-02-23

Hey kipjr,

thanks for chiming in! :)

I would love to do this, but I have absolutely no knowledge about LDAP & ActiveDirectory. And only very limited knowledge about PHP ... :D
I just set up an LDAP server on a Synology NAS and wanted Piwigo (that runs on that NAS in a docker container) to communicate with that LDAP server.

I made a fork of your repository and applied some changes to the template files as outlined in the link from erAck. I also added the suggestion from the github issue. This solves most issues displayed in the ui.

You can find my changes here:
https://github.com/claussteinmassl/Ldap_Login

As of know it's only partly working. I can successfully bind to the LDAP server and test the connection with my user, but I fail to retrieve any groups (in the group management tab). No errors, but the list is just empty. :(
Right now I have no idea if this a problem with the plugin or a configuration issue on my side.

Cheers,
Claus

#9 2023-05-23 00:12:53

kipjr
2023-02-26

I've got the first working example of Oauth2 (Azure AD) working and I need to fine-tune some settings before publishing.

I will probably remove the Group Management part

Next to this I will implement a CI pipeline so future changes are reviewed

#10 2023-06-06 17:00:49

dinoschachten
2022-02-16

Hi,
sounds great, thanks a lot for your work. Personally I will move away from Piwigo soon due to lack of RAW file support (which has been requested) in an otherwise lovely media management tool, and given the fact that so many great solutions providing RAW support have since matured enough to warrant a switch. Just felt the need to write some words of appreciation for what you are doing here!

•  » Extensions
  •  » LDAP Plugin for current Piwigo versions (12.x) needed

Board footer