Announcement

#1 2023-03-30 17:52:34

gatoruss
2020-06-09

Physical and Virtual Albums

I am trying to lean my way around piwigo v13.6.0, and I am hopeful that someone can confirm that my understanding of the following is correct.

I gather that folders containing photos can uploaded via ftp, and Piwigo will:

1.  Create a subdirectory ("New Subdir") in the "directories" folder with the same name as the uploaded folder.  The photos that were in the uploaded folder will be physically located in the New Subdir.

2.  Create a physical album (" New Physical Album"), which will contain the photos in the uploaded folder (New Physical Album will have same name as the uploaded folder).

It is my understanding that:

A.  Linking a photo with a album is the same as associating a photo with an album.

B.  The photos physically located in New Physical Album call be associated with (i) one or more virtual albums (as well as be in New Phyical Album) and/or (ii) a different physical album.

C.  Photos that have associated with only virtual albums can be associated with one or more physical albums.

Can someone confirm that I am understanding this correctly?

Environment:

• Piwigo 13.6.0 Check for upgrade
• Installed on 30 March 2023, 10 hours ago
• Operating system: Linux
• PHP: 7.4.33 (Show info)
• MySQL: 10.2.44-MariaDB-cll-lve
• Graphics Library: ImageMagick 7.1.0-20

#2 2023-03-31 19:16:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Physical and Virtual Albums

Not really..

1. What "directories" folder? And why should Piwigo create a new subdirectory?

2. Sounds correct.

A. If you run a FTP Sync after linking files into physical directories.

B. No. You have either physical albums matching your directories, or virtual albums. Images in physical albums can't be associated with virtual albums, AFAIK. (not very sure about whether this changed, I don't have physical albums anymore for years).

C. No.

See also
https://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user … dd_picture
https://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user … management

You can convert physical albums to virtual albums using [extension by plg] Virtualize.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2023-04-01 04:09:11

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

erAck wrote:

B. No. You have either physical albums matching your directories, or virtual albums. Images in physical albums can't be associated with virtual albums, AFAIK. (not very sure about whether this changed, I don't have physical albums anymore for years).

I'm pretty sure you can associate a physical photo with a virtual album (in addition to the physical album it exists in).

#4 2023-04-03 15:40:49

gatoruss
2020-06-09

erAck wrote:

1. What "directories" folder? And why should Piwigo create a new subdirectory?

I am sorry.  I meant the "galleries" folder.

windracer wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can associate a physical photo with a virtual album (in addition to the physical album it exists in).

This has been my experience from playing  around with my piwigo installation:

I can associate photos in a physical album with virtual albums and other physical albums and I can associate photos not in a physical album with physical albums.

The above being the case, if I use FTP upload and create new physical albu., what is the advantage of "virtualizing"?

#5 2023-04-03 17:24:20

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Personally, I only use physical albums because I like maintaining a specific folder/sub-folder structure for my photos (everything under "galleries" which contains symlinks out to my NAS, but that's a different discussion) with the original filenames.

Virtual albums are just that ... virtual. All of your photos will be under the "uploads" folder (with generated filenames, sorted in folders by upload date). I guess that's easier to manage for most folks since you can just upload photos to your site, not care really where they are or what they're named, but still have them appear in one-to-many virtual albums. Less maintenance on the file system side.

#6 2023-04-04 16:32:45

beepro
2021-09-05

for my main sites I have deleted my upload dir files and converted to only physical albums. this makes it easier to find images.  but it is more work, create dir under cpanel, upload files, then synchronize on piwigo. 

for smaller sites I am using the virual album because not too many files anyway and it is easier to upload.

#7 2023-04-07 15:12:26

neon
2023-03-27

For my family photo collection, I use both physical and virtual albums.

All physical albums are folders, mounted under the "Original Photos" folder with read-only access.

BTW, this was my reason to choose Piwigo: I wanted to be absolutely sure the program can not in any way modify my photos and folder structure, that I built over decades; but at the same time be able to add whatever tags, comments, etc. and create whatever needed structure of virtual albums.

So, apart from this "Original Photos", I have dozens of virtual albums with selections of photos from physical albums. Works exactly as you would dream ;)

Board footer