The following rules define the expected usage of the Piwigo forum, so that everyone can find quickly the answer to his problem or question.
If you don't find a satisfying answer, then feel free to open a new topic.
- Use a clear and precise topic subject
The title of your message should describe your question, so others users will know what you're looking for without having to open topics they are not interested in.
Examples of unwanted subjects:
- "I have a problem"
- "What shall I do?"
Examples of appropriate subjects:
- "Bug in RSS feed after 2.0.8 upgrade"
- "Notification by mail of a new registered user"
- "Forbid access to a IP address"
- Write in english
The forum language is english, not a kind of pidgin made of abbreviations and SMS-style language: you are thus requested to write your message in an english that is understandable for everybody. Thanks to pay attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation rules as normally used in english.
Think about proofreading your posts: everybody is allowed to make typos or spelling mistakes, but minimizing them will make reading easier, and lower the risks of misunderstanding or wrong interpretation as well.
- Don't write your message in capital letters
A whole message in capital letters is very difficult to read, you will seem to be shouting, and that will often bring you back negative reactions.
- Restrict your topic to one question
Open a topic for each different question. Later on, if the discussion drifts to another subject with the coming answers, think about opening a new topic: reading and searches will be easier for all the forum users.
- Refrain to edit a message previously posted
Save the "Edit" function for typos fixing or to precise minor details immediatly after posting. To add content, you should rather create another message, in order to keep the topic consistent and clear for any reader.
- Do specify your technical environment
To your question, forum users might need to know your installation specifications, especially as your problem might be linked to your own configuration, or has been solved in a more recent version.
Indicate at least:
- your Piwigo version number
- the active plugins
- your host
- Improve your message readibility
Use the help formatting tools: BBcode, images,
- source code (HTML, CSS, PHP) mixed with the content of a message decreases its readability: always use BBcode to separate it in your messages,
- you may attach several images to each message, so don't hesitate to provide screencopies to illustrate your queries
- by using the automatic links functionality, you can easily reference other messages or topics, as well as extensions or bugs, see help
- To answer a message
If the requester seems to have not searched the forum or the documentation before posting, ask him politely to read these Rules. You can also provide links to pages of documentation or forum discussions that could help him solve his problem. But a simple "do search!" is useless; better not to answer, and avoid getting annoyed with each other.