Announcement

#1 2011-05-26 20:19:39

DavePhoto

Does it make sense to use Piwigo as a backup solution?

I am a photographer (aren't we all) and I have many many gigs of photos, and have yet to find a decent online backup solution.

But I do have a dreamhost account with "unlimited" storage and bandwidth.

I am tempted to install Piwiko and upload all my photos to it, and just set it as private to use as my own photo storage database. I realize that it will probably take a week of uploading, but I don't mind letting my computer and internet connection work hard all night while I slumber peacefully.

Is this a good idea? Will it be easy to re-download entire directories if I need to restore my photos to a local drive? Will dreamhost get mad at me?

Thanks,
- Dave

#2 2011-05-26 23:38:50

Nakre
Translation Team
2010-05-05

Re: Does it make sense to use Piwigo as a backup solution?

Downloading them by ftp client (ie. filezilla) as u need by folder or all of them.. yeh why not ?
About your hosting best to contact/ask them.. some don't like, some don't mind that..

#3 2011-05-26 23:40:33

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

If you use your hosting provider just as backup, I don't really see the point to use Piwigo. Just send them over FTP and you're done, don't you think?

#4 2011-05-27 14:19:52

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

plg wrote:

If you use your hosting provider just as backup, I don't really see the point to use Piwigo. Just send them over FTP and you're done, don't you think?

yes !
and I think there are more specific solutions for data backup than a server (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing, http://www.mediafire.com, http://www.livedrive.com/ForBusiness), even if you have an "unlimited" amount of storage -be careful, they can always decline/delete your account if they can't provide a correct service for the other users (you're not on a dedicated server)-

Last edited by flop25 (2011-05-27 14:20:06)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2011-05-27 20:36:25

bjordan
2011-04-25

plg wrote:

flop25 wrote:

.... even if you have an "unlimited" amount of storage -be careful, they can always decline/delete your account if they can't provide a correct service for the other users (you're not on a dedicated server)-

flop25 you are correct. The issue s most "unlimited" storage have to be for website "assets" so if he just dumped them on the FTP but they're not part of his site then it can be in violation and be removed. I believe his thought is that if he uses Piwigo then technically the files will be assets used by his site and not be in violation of the providers terms. Either way they still have discretion on how "unlimited" your storage is.

I looked into the same thing. I decided to use Piwigo for a photo album on a family site. Mainly for the family to view photos of my son. He's the first grandson so they're always wanting to see photos. I decided to not use my host's (bluehost.com) "unlimited" storage as backup.

I ended up going with www.SpiderOak.com as my backup solution. It's $10 per month for per $100 GB of storage. Simple pricing scheme (which I like). They also have a client that runs on all major OS's (Windows, Mac & Linux) which was a big deal to me because I have both Windows and Linux machines.  I've used them for about 2 months now and have about 10GB of photos backed up. The initial backup took forever but after that it only backs up changes so it's not too bad.

If you decide to try them out let me know and I'll give you a referral link where we can both get an extra GB for free. It's not much but might as well.

Last edited by bjordan (2011-05-27 20:39:08)

#6 2011-05-28 10:31:24

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

It's $10 per month for per $100 GB of storage.

online store for backup? safety in the cloud? safety at online storage?
i remember the the crash of the amazone cloud at easter ... with data loss for users

i don´t trust a solution outside my hands

i use a bunch of external harddrives with costs between 45-50€ per TERRABYTE.  (60-70$)

okay, every weekend i must start batches for backup (at night) and every month i rotate a local backupdrive with a drive stored on another place (the home, 15 miles away, of a colleague of mine, we meet every week, it is no extra work for us, to chance drives)

i know, online backup, cloud, very trendy .....

#7 2011-05-28 14:53:31

bjordan
2011-04-25

mol wrote:

i know, online backup, cloud, very trendy .....

Trashing cloud services seems trendy as well.

It's almost as though people who trash cloud backup think we put our data there and delete our local copies. It's a backup not the only copy. I trust that the odds that my local drives will fail the same time that my cloud provider will have an outage aren't very high.

There's always an inherent risk with any backup solution. Also there are benefits to both.

I completely understand wanting to do it all yourself. However for some people the cloud is better and certainly better then no backup at all.

Last edited by bjordan (2011-05-28 14:55:40)

Board footer