Announcement

#1 2013-06-29 15:53:27

tom_eaton
2013-06-29

iptc tag embedding

I am trying to create piwigo to allow users to add tags themselves.  That I've done with the user tags add in.  However once the tags are added I want them to be embedded into the original file so that in the event that the photos are migrated the tags remain part of the image file.  I think that iptc tags will achieve what I want however I'm having difficulty working out how to take tags from the database and put them into the photos.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

#2 2013-06-29 16:06:48

pewe
2012-03-16

Re: iptc tag embedding

Various questions have been asked on the forum previously relating to embedding of additional information (such as tags, keywords) in the original photos.

Adding data to a photo can be done using php scripting, but it is not a trivial task as the coding requires a good understanding of how to manipulate photo metadata.

It is also possible that a Piwigo Plugin could be created to do this, but this too would require someone with extensive knowledge of 'Photo Metadata/PHP/Piwigo/Plugin Development.

Maybe one day someone with the required level of knowledge may find the time and inclination to do something ;-)

#3 2013-06-29 19:47:32

tom_eaton
2013-06-29

by following the guides on here and using the code below piwigo now reads tags embedded and displays them on the webpage.  however it will not sync in the other direction, ie tags created on the website do not embed into the image.  is there a script that exists that could be run using cron for example to extract the tag info and write it to the image file?

#4 2013-06-29 19:52:04

tom_eaton
2013-06-29

Also in case there is a better way of doing things...

My concern is that once a large number of tags have been created and associated, I am tied in to the piwigo software to keep this information relevant to the photos.  This doesn't seem like a very future proof solution, which is why I am looking to IPTC embedding.  If you can think of a better way to do things please let me know your ideas!

#5 2013-06-29 23:28:16

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

You're right
It's technically possible to register the tags back in the original picture, but you're not using the Ftp method all the picture are already renamed and stored in folders ordered by date only, so I don't think it would be necessary to sync tags to such pictures

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#6 2013-06-30 11:36:10

tom_eaton
2013-06-29

Sorry I didn't mention that, the photos will be uploaded via ftp to the system

Board footer