Announcement

#1 2013-08-14 14:45:29

skywave
2012-03-16

Users can no longer add photos from user main screen.

Problem: Users can no longer add photos from user main screen.
I don't know why or how this change took place. The User Screen used to have an Upload Photos Option. Now it's gone. Users cannot now upload photos. Why?  - but more importantly, what can I do to fix this? Asking my users to use FTP is no good: I want the original User Upload Photos option back.
Version of pwigo in use is 2.5.2

Skywave / Aug. 14, 2013 //

Last edited by skywave (2013-08-14 14:47:18)

#2 2013-08-14 14:54:40

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Users can no longer add photos from user main screen.

Hello (come on)

What is the "User Screen" ?

can we have a link ? or at least a Screenshot ?

How Community is configured ?

#3 2013-08-14 15:27:18

skywave
2012-03-16

Thanks for the reply.
Here is a screen-shot.

#4 2013-08-14 15:41:16

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

three questions, one answer, nice

#5 2013-08-14 15:57:09

skywave
2012-03-16

Thanks for your sarcastic comment: helpful; nice.

Now before we go any further with this, let me explain a few things. I am a total and complete novice when it comes to 'configuring Pwigo'. The Gallery in question is on a server which is outside of my control. The guy who looks after that server has given me the job of organising photos in that gallery when required. To do that, he has made me the gallery admin. The users of that gallery now tell me that the 'upload photos' option that was in their 'User Screen' has now vanished.
Now you have the whole story.

The 'User screen' is the screen that a user sees when he logs into the Gallery and wants to see photos or do an upload.

I do not know what you are referring to by the word 'Community' (see para. 2 above).

Skywave / Aug. 14, 2013 //

#6 2013-08-14 16:18:16

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

why so rude ?

are you considering you can't answer three question because you are a novice ? they don't involve any technical knowledge so stop make it an excuse.

I can also explain you a few things : the more info you gave us, the quickier we can can give you an helpfull answer, our aim is not to make users understand they are not smart enough to use Piwigo (that whould be a shame) but to solve any problem whereas you (and we) understand why it occurs or not ; and for that you will to answer our question, or just answer "I don't know", at least show us your are participating

[extension by plg] Community is a plugin, it allows non-admin user to upload photos, it's the only way for users to upload photo since Piwigo 2.4

If this plugin is installed on your site, the configuration is available on the Plugins menu
If this plugin is not installed I suppose you (or he) just updated Piwigo from an older version, and you should install it

#7 2013-08-14 16:46:23

skywave
2012-03-16

Quote: "Why so rude?"

I might ask you the same question! You fired the first shot.

I sent in the screen-shot as a first reply. I then went off to investigate what was meant by the term 'community'. You replied whilst I was trying to find out what that meant. As for a 'user screen', I would have thought that that term was obvious!

Anyway, I think I've fixed it: downloaded a plug-in. Now it seems that someone had performed an upgrade to the Pwigo installation. (I am not the only person who has admin. rights to the gallery in question). But it now seems that that upgrade then requires a plug-in to be installed. Hence, question: why was that 'plug-in' so written that it then became necessary for admins. (like me) to have to then load an additional chunk of software to get that upgrade to work properly? Not good; not clever!

Cherrio!

#8 2013-08-14 16:59:07

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

skywave wrote:

But it now seems that that upgrade then requires a plug-in to be installed. Hence, question: why was that 'plug-in' so written that it then became necessary for admins. (like me) to have to then load an additional chunk of software to get that upgrade to work properly?

sorry I don't understand

do you mean: "why is Community plugin needed since Piwigo 2.4 to activate this feature ?"

if so the answer is: not everybody needs this, so we decided to move it to a plugin
admins can still use the upload form available on the admin part

and if you worry about possible slowdowns of the software, there is no reason
it's not an "additional chunk of software", this evolution implied a big part of unoptimized code was removed from the core, moreover Piwigo IS optimized for plugins, feature like this are as fast and as efficient as they were integrated in the core

"not clever", perhaps for you, but for us it's way more clear and maintenable

#9 2013-08-14 17:34:54

Bpiwigo

skywave wrote:

Quote: "Why so rude?"

I might ask you the same question! You fired the first shot.

I sent in the screen-shot as a first reply. I then went off to investigate what was meant by the term 'community'. You replied whilst I was trying to find out what that meant. As for a 'user screen', I would have thought that that term was obvious!

Anyway, I think I've fixed it: downloaded a plug-in. Now it seems that someone had performed an upgrade to the Pwigo installation. (I am not the only person who has admin. rights to the gallery in question). But it now seems that that upgrade then requires a plug-in to be installed. Hence, question: why was that 'plug-in' so written that it then became necessary for admins. (like me) to have to then load an additional chunk of software to get that upgrade to work properly? Not good; not clever!

Cherrio!

Geez, are you kidding me skywave?  Yes, his comment was a little snippy, but are you at ALL familiar with how to get support on a free and open source project like this?  I'm surprised you're getting any help at all with the argumentative and critical attitude.

I'm a very new user to it, but Piwigo is about the most polished and easy to use open source server-based project I've ever seen.  Have you tried installing themes or plugins to other server-based software projects?  It's often a nightmare of patching and tweaking of configuration files, and finding downloads from obscure personal servers.  In Piwigo the repositories and plugins are all there for us right in the main interface, indexed and easy as pie to install (I assume modeled after WordPress).  Many other projects have limited or even zero support from the developers and maintainers, but here you're getting answers the same day.

I had to discover for myself where the Community plugin comes in -- I did it simply by googling through the documentation and forum posts.  It didn't take long.  In your case the answers are being spoon fed to you and you're still complaining.  This is about as good as it gets on voluntary open source projects -- please consider being a bit more understanding and respectful, even when someone strikes you as rude.  You and I are the "takers" in this relationship, and I'm grateful.

#10 2013-08-14 18:50:27

skywave
2012-03-16

Bpiwigo: your involvement in this matter is not needed nor necessary. (Read: mind your own business!)

And may I respectfully remind you that it was not me who made the first disrespectful and sarcastic remark. Just because I ask for help on an open forum, albeit it about free software  - which in my case, was not of my choosing - does not entitle the person to whom I am talking, to be rude - which he was.

Moreover, I am a member of many other forums on the 'Net, some of which I visit infrequently, and when I have asked questions - even those that are poorly formulated - I have never been spoken to in such a rude manner. Not only that, but I would have thought that as a 'newbie', a bit of tolerance wouldn't have gone amiss.

I shan't be coming back here again. And I will recommend that my server admin. uses a different application for his photo gallery.

Good-bye!

#11 2013-08-14 19:12:46

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Seems like you -skywave- escalate the problem too much, which originatively comes from just a lack of communication from you and maybe tiredness from Mistic100
I bet you ever had irony from people, hope you didn't get the same reaction

Since we are free, we are just sad you go away, but I wish the best with another soft: I recommend Zenphoto

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#12 2013-08-14 19:17:53

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Ho And I just saw: If you are on others forums, so you should know an incomer should give details AND being polite!! Like saying Hello Thx in advance ....

I close this thread

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer