Announcement

#31 2023-09-15 16:10:32

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

Re: Heif

plg wrote:

Piwigo 14 will support *.heic files :-) (and also webP)

Sigh… by all means, support HEIC, but the two most important formats are AVIF and WebP.

Almost no browser can render HEIC.

https://caniuse.com/?search=heic

All relevant browsers can render AVIF and WebP.

https://caniuse.com/avif
https://caniuse.com/?search=webp

#32 2023-09-15 18:12:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Zentalquabula wrote:

Sigh… by all means, support HEIC, but the two most important formats are AVIF and WebP.

I don't see how "AVIF" is more important than HEIC. HEIC is the file format used by default on iOS and Android. People take photos with their phones and upload them into Piwigo. HEIC is certainly more important than AVIF/WebP/JpegXL and others.

Zentalquabula wrote:

Almost no browser can render HEIC.

Piwigo won't display HEIC files in the web browser, but a JPEG file.

Zentalquabula wrote:

All relevant browsers can render AVIF and WebP.

Agree for WebP. Don't agree for AVIF. Making AVIF useless as an output (display) format for Piwigo. I don't reject it as an "input" format (to be converted as JPEG for display).

#33 2023-09-15 23:34:06

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

plg wrote:

Making AVIF useless as an output (display) format for Piwigo.

Making Piwigo useless as gallery software.

#34 2023-09-18 10:24:07

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Zentalquabula wrote:

plg wrote:

Making AVIF useless as an output (display) format for Piwigo.

Making Piwigo useless as gallery software.

What could I reply to such words?

Currently (version 13) Piwigo does not support AVIF as input or output. So you're saying Piwigo is useless. So why do we have so many users then? Maybe (just maybe) you're not 100% right ;-)

Joke appart, I simply say that if AVIF is not support by Internet Explorer (or Edge, I mean the default web browser on Microsoft Windows) then Piwigo can't use AVIF as output to serve multiple-size photos in the web browser. It seems pretty damn obvious to me :-D

#35 2023-09-19 04:06:50

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

plg wrote:

Joke appart, I simply say that if AVIF is not support by Internet Explorer (or Edge, I mean the default web browser on Microsoft Windows) then Piwigo can't use AVIF as output to serve multiple-size photos in the web browser. It seems pretty damn obvious to me :-D

Microsoft has always been the dinosaur, and has hampered the development of virtually all web technologies, from CSS to JS. Eventually, they lost their dominance to Google and Firefox, and now they are just fringe.

IE is dead, and Edge will eventually support AVIF. 99% of users use Chrome (and derivatives), Firefox and Safari.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-e … nd-safari/

User base is 100%, and AVIF superiority is also 100%. Please implement. Fucking PLEASE!

#36 2023-11-07 02:17:15

executive
2017-08-16

plg wrote:

executive wrote:

HEIF is still pretty much non-existent.

By default, iPhones and new Android phones use HEIC to store photos. That's a big deal because the majority of photos are now taken with a phone.

By that I meant browser support is nonexistent therefore it's end of story for Piwigo (as a display format).
iPhone users can export their HEIC photos as jpeg

plg wrote:

executive wrote:

WEBP benefits are marginal and it's still not widely accepted.

WebP is interesting because its widely supported by web browsers and efficiently replaces JPEG (lighter), PNG (lossless compression and transparency) and GIF (animation).

Browsers can render webp, but I find that most websites where you upload images (forums, file hosts, image tools etc.) will not accept webp as input.
Same goes for various image editing software.  For example Lightroom cannot export webp. Adoption has been pretty slow. Maybe it will get there, but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet.
This is the biggest factor for me. It needs to be a format that RAW photos can be exported to, reasonably easily. JPEG is still the only available option, and it's good enough for the web.

plg wrote:

I'm sticking to JPEG for now

Which is a perfectly reasonnable choice, but if your phone takes photos in HEIC, you will have to convert them into JPEG at some point.

Two clicks in the Photos app. No biggy.

Last edited by executive (2023-11-07 02:21:52)

#37 2023-12-12 12:56:41

executive
2017-08-16

so, webp only supports 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Which means more color bleed, softer edges and blurred text compared to jpeg encoded at 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 .
Bleh. Seems more a downgrade.
Apparently it's a lot more computationally heavy/resource hungry too.

https://i.postimg.cc/cdq4mwj2/Screenshot-2023-12-12-at-03-34-39.png

Board footer