Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Some thoughts on Piwigo

#1 2010-06-23 11:37:36

aleksander
2010-06-22

Some thoughts on Piwigo

Hi!

First of all, thanks for an overall great image gallery! As of now, Piwigo was the only image gallery I could find that really satisfied most of my demands. There are a few things I miss, though.

1) Why do you differentiate between virtual and physical categories? I think it would be alot easier if you could create a category in the admin interface, and then Piwigo created the correct directory structure.

2) Why can't users upload to virtual categories, only physical ones?

3) A "forgot password"-function would've been nice.

4) Automatic permalink creation upon category creation.

5) Some kind of "download all images in the category"-link accessible to certain users.

Thanks again, and good luck! I'm currently in the process of translating Piwigo into Norwegian, so I'll be sure to share it with you when I'm done.

Last edited by aleksander (2010-06-23 11:41:30)

#2 2010-06-23 11:52:45

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Some thoughts on Piwigo

aleksander wrote:

1) Why do you differentiate between virtual and physical categories? I think it would be alot easier if you could create a category in the admin interface, and then Piwigo created the correct directory structure.

In my opinion (not shared by all team members), we should not differentiate virtual and physical because we should only have virtual categories. This is what happens when you don't use synchronization process to add photos (if you use pLoader, the web upload form, Digikam and so on).

aleksander wrote:

2) Why can't users upload to virtual categories, only physical ones?

The user upload needs improvement. We will propose the current "admin upload form" to users. The "admin upload form" (Administration>Photos>Add>Upload Photos) only uses virtual categories.

aleksander wrote:

3) A "forgot password"-function would've been nice.

This function already exists. Did you already find it or do you mean it needs improvement?

aleksander wrote:

4) Automatic permalink creation upon category creation.

You can already do something quite automatic:

1) go to Administration>Plugins>Manage>Plugins list and activate the "LocalFiles Editor" plugin
2) go to Administration>Plugins>LocalFiles Editor>Local config and set the file content to:

Code:

<?php
$conf['category_url_style'] = 'id-name';
?>

aleksander wrote:

5) Some kind of "download all images in the category"-link accessible to certain users.

I agree.

aleksander wrote:

I'm currently in the process of translating Piwigo into Norwegian [...]

Nice to read this :-)

#3 2010-06-23 12:38:07

aleksander
2010-06-22

plg wrote:

In my opinion (not shared by all team members), we should not differentiate virtual and physical because we should only have virtual categories. This is what happens when you don't use synchronization process to add photos (if you use pLoader, the web upload form, Digikam and so on).

Yes, that is a good idea. May I ask what the pro-physical category-members arguments are? I can't really see any good arguments for this. I think a combination would've been best, because then you can choose whether you want to make the directory structure "manually" yourself, or just do it in the admin interface. This opens for both admin interface-uploading and FTP-uploading without too much trouble.

plg wrote:

This function already exists. Did you already find it or do you mean it needs improvement?

Sorry, I was a bit quick on the trigger there. You're right, this function already exist. My bad.

plg wrote:

You can already do something quite automatic:

1) go to Administration>Plugins>Manage>Plugins list and activate the "LocalFiles Editor" plugin
2) go to Administration>Plugins>LocalFiles Editor>Local config and set the file content to:

Code:

<?php
$conf['category_url_style'] = 'id-name';
?>

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!! :)

#4 2010-06-23 12:59:32

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

aleksander wrote:

May I ask what the pro-physical category-members arguments are?

The "physical category" concept is the historical concept. Piwigo was born in 2002 and the "no physical category at all" concept was added in 2008 for Piwigo 2.0 and pLoader.

There are some propositions for renaming "physical category" into "directory" and remove the "virtual" word for categories. I personally don't like the idea because currently at gallery level (outside administration), there is absolutely no difference between a "physical" and a "virtual" category.

#5 2010-06-23 13:33:58

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

plg wrote:

I personally don't like the idea because currently at gallery level (outside administration), there is absolutely no difference between a "physical" and a "virtual" category.

Ouside administration there is one difference in HTTP upload. Virtual categories could not provide adding pictures to visitors.
Out of this minor remark, I agree.
;-)

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#6 2010-06-23 13:36:17

aleksander
2010-06-22

VDigital wrote:

Ouside administration there is one difference in HTTP upload. Virtual categories could not provide adding pictures to visitors.
Out of this minor remark, I agree.
;-)

Which leads to another question, why can't visitors add pictures to virtual categories?

#7 2010-06-23 13:59:10

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

aleksander wrote:

Which leads to another question, why can't visitors add pictures to virtual categories?

Simply because "at the moment" the code is not ready for upload in virtual categories. This will come in the future.

#8 2010-06-23 14:15:43

aleksander
2010-06-22

Oh, ok. Thanks! :)

#9 2010-10-18 22:13:45

mike2by4

ok, so is the 'visitors uploading their own photos' available now?

#10 2010-10-25 16:38:31

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

mike2by4 wrote:

ok, so is the 'visitors uploading their own photos' available now?

No, it's not. It will be in Piwigo 2.2. You can expect it before the end of year 2010.

•  » Requests
  •  » Some thoughts on Piwigo

Board footer