Announcement

•  » Your Piwigo
  •  » Piwigo and Zenphoto; a Comparative Review

#1 2012-01-15 23:20:33

mandarin
2012-01-12

Piwigo and Zenphoto; a Comparative Review

Hello,

I ahve experimented with both Piwigo and Zenphoto on roughly the same time, to meet similar objectives.

Here is my review:
http://www.techtangerine.com/2012/01/15 … ve-review/

I hope the developers read this.

Sincerely

H.

#2 2012-01-15 23:35:10

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Piwigo and Zenphoto; a Comparative Review

mandarin wrote:

I hope the developers read this.

I have. Nice reading. I won't lie: I think ZenPhoto does a very good job. I admit I didn't expect your conclusion since in my mind Piwigo has much more features than ZenPhoto (considering core and plugins).

When uploading image files via FTP, Piwigo requires that thumbnails be also created and uploaded to a subfolder with the prefix TN-. This requires batch processing of image files by a local image editor such as Adobe Photoshop Essentials. The alternative is to avoid uploading images via FTP and instead use a special upload program (Ploader) created by Piwigo. Zenphoto has no such requirements.

In the future version 2.4, this prerequisite will disappear.

I don't know exactly for ZenPhoto, but Piwigo has a web API: a list of methods that can be called from remote applications to fetch data from Piwigo or send data to Piwigo. This is why the WordPress plugin PiwigoMedia was "simple" to code (with methods such as pwg.categories.getList or pwg.categories.getImages) and why we have so many remote softwares that can add photos to Piwigo: pLoader, Shotwell, Digikam, Lightroom, iPhoto, iPhone/iPad, android...

But anyway, zenPhoto does a very good job and when someone says me Piwigo doesn't fit his needs, I recommend testing zenPhoto.

#3 2012-02-06 22:26:13

harryo

As the reviewer said different galleries for different people, I have tried them all and still think Piwigo is best (for me anyway}

#4 2012-03-16 23:20:54

fatman
Translation Team
2012-03-16

plg wrote:

I have. Nice reading. I won't lie: I think ZenPhoto does a very good job. I admit I didn't expect your conclusion since in my mind Piwigo has much more features than ZenPhoto (considering core and plugins).

I am trying to convert my ZenPhoto Gallery to Piwigo in this few day for some test, I can say ZenPhoto has more feature than Piwigo.  :) 

Feature is not a big issue, but one of Piwigo weak point I felt is the backend admin interface is not quit intuitive.

#5 2013-03-12 12:14:09

cameron burns

Nightclub photographer and programmer here.

Are there any extensions that support print on demand API (to a print and postage vendor), paypal payment gateway, pre-purchase (aggressive) watermarking and post-purchase watermarking (less aggressive - branding focused)? Obviously for the purpose of selling photos through the website.

I'm now doing some serious research into the topic as I develop a few websites for other phtorographers.

It's likely I'll build my own, but I'd rather work on an existing open source project / extension for purchasing and downloading photos.

Feel free to talk to me about the work I'm doing also. It's good to make some networks.

#6 2013-03-12 13:05:45

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello Cameron and welcome,
Piwigo is not build as a selling platform, but can be turned into with plugins. The existing plugin PayPal existing is very simple, with no such advanced options
Technically it's possible. So now you can hire a freelance (from http://pigolabs.com/, the Piwigo association, any other freelance job where an cheap Indian could do the work...)
The Piwigo is more focusing on improving the core, not for specific use

Best Regards

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

•  » Your Piwigo
  •  » Piwigo and Zenphoto; a Comparative Review

Board footer