Announcement

  •  » Engine
  •  » Size for #theMainImage

#1 2012-07-08 19:08:33

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06
7037

Size for #theMainImage

Hello team,
just wondering if there is a particular reason to set the dimension of the picture (with get_size_htm() on #theMainImage ) ?
because with this http://piwigo.org/dev/changeset/16505/#file2, the size will not be declare if the picture was not cached (so only once)

Maybe it's for autosize ?


To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Offline

 

#2 2012-07-08 22:19:37

rvelices
Piwigo Team
2005-12-29
1960

Re: Size for #theMainImage

flop25,

First I really dislike the effect of your recent commits because now every page on my gallery will find jquery, ajaxmanager and the thumbnail loader scripts loaded for really nothing ...

yes there is a good particular reason: the browser will not reflow the entire page content when the image is loaded.

Offline

 

#3 2012-07-09 08:33:25

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06
7037

Re: Size for #theMainImage

rvelices wrote:

now every page on my gallery will find jquery, ajaxmanager and the thumbnail loader scripts loaded for really nothing ...

I see your point : I'm going to improve that. For my defense, it was already added -as this- for thumbnails.tpl, which means around half of the pages of the gallery.

rvelices wrote:

yes there is a good particular reason: the browser will not reflow the entire page content when the image is loaded.

I didn't understand 'reflow' : you means the dimension of the image area, and/or other areas will not change after the change of src ?


To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Offline

 

#4 2012-07-09 09:29:33

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06
7037

Re: Size for #theMainImage

I'm changing for that

Code:

{foreach from=$thumbnails item=thumbnail}

{if !$derivative->is_cached()}
{combine_script id='jquery.ajaxmanager' path='themes/default/js/plugins/jquery.ajaxmanager.js' load='footer'}
{combine_script id='thumbnails.loader' path='themes/default/js/thumbnails.loader.js' require='jquery.ajaxmanager' load='footer'}
{/if}

and because I was afraid of perf issue of putting 2 {combine in a loop of hundred elements, I've made a statistical analysis
For 100 thumbnails no change : we only see the influence of generating thumbnails


To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Offline

 

#5 2012-07-10 06:37:28

rvelices
Piwigo Team
2005-12-29
1960

Re: Size for #theMainImage

flop25 wrote:

I didn't understand 'reflow' : you means the dimension of the image area, and/or other areas will not change after the change of src ?

https://developers.google.com/speed/articles/reflow

Offline

 

#6 2012-07-23 12:06:18

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13548

Re: Size for #theMainImage

I also don't really like the animated gifs everywhere on the page, it is really "eye disturbing". But basically I agree with flop25 that it's useful to make obvious that the thumbnail (or any size) is "pending". Why not using a less disturbing way to make this state obvious, such as a dashed border?

Offline

 

#7 2012-07-23 12:49:41

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06
7037

Re: Size for #theMainImage

A loading image is a convention on every website : the border is just a style, people will still think there is no picture... it doesn't change anything.
Maybe a text would be better

ps : we could ask on the french forum ; do we have any trunk public install ?


To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Offline

 

#8 2012-07-23 12:57:16

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27
7046

Re: Size for #theMainImage

flop25 wrote:

ps : we could ask on the french forum ; do we have any trunk public install ?

For transltor , they're -> http://piwigo.us/l10n/trunk/


You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

Offline

 

#9 2012-07-23 13:14:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13548

Re: Size for #theMainImage

flop25 wrote:

A loading image is a convention on every website : the border is just a style, people will still think there is no picture... it doesn't change anything.

I don't really care that it is a convention on every website: it is very "eye disturbing". 25 http://piwigo.us/beta/24/themes/default/images/ajax-loader-small.gif on the same page is a visual problem in my opinion.

flop25 wrote:

Maybe a text would be better

That would be fine for picture.php, but not on index.php (too small areas)

Offline

 

#10 2012-07-23 13:26:53

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06
7037

Re: Size for #theMainImage

Don't take it personally but I prefer to request the public opinion ; you know the divergence between dev and user...
What about using the trunk install for translator, forcing the deletion of size each time and -why not- an option via GET to use the border instead ?
I can't host because of hoster problem


To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Offline

 

#11 2012-07-23 13:30:22

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13548

Re: Size for #theMainImage

flop25 wrote:

Don't take it personally but I prefer to request the public opinion ; you know the divergence between dev and user...

public opinion is useful, but in the end I have a word to say :-)

Offline

 

#12 2012-07-23 13:31:44

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13548

Re: Size for #theMainImage

flop25, to show something realistic, don't use Piwigo but an HTML model. One with animated gifs, the other one with dashed borders.

Offline

 

#13 2012-07-23 13:42:35

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13548

Re: Size for #theMainImage

And anyway, please remove the code from 2.4 for now. Let's find the best solution on trunk, then we'll see if we backport on 2.4.

For now, this "new feature" is blocking any possible release 2.4.2 (what can we do if we find a critical bug on 2.4? I don't want to release 2.4 "as is")

Offline

 

#14 2012-07-23 13:53:53

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13
4098

Re: Size for #theMainImage

I don't like animated gif on each image...
I would prefer dashed border as suggested by plg.


P@t

Offline

 

#15 2012-07-23 14:13:24

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27
3277

Re: Size for #theMainImage

with gif

with dashed border

dashed is better I think

Offline

 
  •  » Engine
  •  » Size for #theMainImage

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

github twitter newsletter Donate Piwigo.org © 2002-2022 · Contact