Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Sort option for Stripped Theme - Zaphod?

#1 2012-07-18 00:00:10

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Sort option for Stripped Theme - Zaphod?

Will there be a Sort Option for the Stripped Theme like there is now for the new Elegant Theme?

Tadjio

#2 2012-07-18 19:00:58

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

Re: Sort option for Stripped Theme - Zaphod?

No. It's not planned.
It's one of the forst things I removed when I made stripped theme.

#3 2012-07-18 19:08:47

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Thanks for your reply.
I understand that it is your decision but can I just ask the reason why?

Would it be possible in future perhaps to put some more options under the Information Tab which could be restricted by "Show Information tab only to admins"?

Let me say tht I do like your Stripped Theme, using it with 2.4, thanks.
I did start with "Elegant" but yours has many other elegant touches!

Thanks

Tadjio

#4 2012-07-18 19:28:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Tadjio wrote:

Note: Elegant and Stripped are both designed by Zaphod ;-)

#5 2012-07-18 20:11:42

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Duly noted!

So a perfect hybrid could be developed???

Tadjio

#6 2012-07-18 21:13:32

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

Tadjio wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I understand that it is your decision but can I just ask the reason why?

Several reasons for this:
- I find this useless (I don't want my visitors to choose the image sort order, I want to choose it myself)
- The point of stripped was to have a piwigo "stripped" to the most useful features, and focused on the photos.
- I don't have any idea of how to integrate it correctly in the theme (visually)

You can disagree with this ;)
I already added some features I didn't want because people asked to, when it was quite simple to do.
In this case, this would be quite complicated to do it properly...

Tadjio wrote:

Would it be possible in future perhaps to put some more options under the Information Tab which could be restricted by "Show Information tab only to admins"?

What would you want to add?

Last edited by Zaphod (2012-07-18 21:14:01)

#7 2012-07-18 21:19:12

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

plg wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

Note: Elegant and Stripped are both designed by Zaphod ;-)

Yes, but for elegant, the point was to keep all piwigo templates and features.
Otherwise I would have thought about removing the sort order box from elegant too ;)

The problem of stripped is that I use text instead of icons... so a simple thing like the sort order box can be complex to handle.
But it's even more complex to design pretty icons ;)

#8 2012-07-18 21:22:28

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Zaphod wrote:

- I find this useless (I don't want my visitors to choose the image sort order, I want to choose it myself)

I perfectly agree with this : sort order options on gallery side is not the most useful feature of Piwigo.

It's perfectly OK that all themes do not support all Piwigo features (or else we would have no other theme than core themes)

And some themes have more features (different features) than core themes, which is a great thing!

#9 2012-07-18 21:43:24

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Gentlemen!
Thanks for your responses and input.

Personally I agree that about Sort Order:

(I don't want my visitors to choose the image sort order, I want to choose it myself)

However, I thought the easiest place for the Administrator to set the Sort Order could be in the Information Tab (which I restrict to Admin. only)

I now use "Elegant" as a back-up to "Stripped" (under my wife's user name as 2nd Admin.;)
There I can use and check the Sort Order for any Album.
Also, I find it handy to step through the Photos with the Information on the Right-Hand Side without having to click on the Information Tab in Stripped.

I like the  design philosphy of "Stripped":

The point of stripped was to have a piwigo "stripped" to the most useful features, and focused on the photos

and I also like the Words rather than Icons.

One other small point I wondered was whether you could also restrict the "Exif" to Admin. only?

Thanks again

Tadjio

#10 2012-07-18 21:53:58

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

Tadjio wrote:

However, I thought the easiest place for the Administrator to set the Sort Order could be in the Information Tab (which I restrict to Admin. only)

I think it's technically not possible to do.
(it would need modifications in piwigo core I guess)

Tadjio wrote:

This will only change the sort order for you, not for the visitors.

Tadjio wrote:

One other small point I wondered was whether you could also restrict the "Exif" to Admin. only?

This is quite easy to do with a user template... but exifs will still be available with a right click on the image. So is this really useful?

What I do on my gallery... I don't display the exifs at all (it's just technical data).
When I want to see an exif data I right click on the image and display the info.
(and any visitor can do the same - it's not that I want to hide the exif, I just don't want to put them on front)

Last edited by Zaphod (2012-07-18 21:54:26)

#11 2012-07-18 22:39:29

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Zaphod wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

I think it's technically not possible to do.
(it would need modifications in piwigo core I guess)

Tadjio wrote:

This will only change the sort order for you, not for the visitors.

OK, I would only want it for me, as discussed earlier, but it's just a reason not to have to switch between Stripped and Elegant in order to find the Sort Order option.

Zaphod wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

This is quite easy to do with a user template... but exifs will still be available with a right click on the image. So is this really useful?

What I do on my gallery... I don't display the exifs at all (it's just technical data).
When I want to see an exif data I right click on the image and display the info.
(and any visitor can do the same - it's not that I want to hide the exif, I just don't want to put them on front)

I guess, ideally, I would like to restrict all the bottom Tab options, as you have done for the Information Tab.
Personally, I don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry using them - as you said: I want it focused on the photos!

Tadjio

#12 2012-07-18 22:45:42

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Tadjio, do you want to hide the EXIF tab? If yes, I will configure your gallery, this is "advanced" configuration.

#13 2012-07-18 22:52:39

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

plg wrote:

Tadjio, do you want to hide the EXIF tab? If yes, I will configure your gallery, this is "advanced" configuration.

I need to think this through.  I haven't yet studied the EXIF side of Piwigo so for now just wanted a means of switching it off in the Stripped Theme which my users use.  I still want to see the EXIF in the Elegant Theme for now!
From a first impression, I would like to see more "technical" data, as Zaphod described it.  At least Shutter Speed and ISO as well as Aperture.  But that's for me, rather than every user...

Tadjio

#14 2012-07-18 23:02:04

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

If you use firefox, install FxIF extension... all the exif data can be found with a right click on the image.
It's the best way I found to display exif data.

#15 2012-07-18 23:04:25

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Zaphod wrote:

If you use firefox, install FxIF extension... all the exif data can be found with a right click on the image.
It's the best way I found to display exif data.

I use Internet Explorer... ;)

Tadjio

•  » Extensions
  •  » Sort option for Stripped Theme - Zaphod?

Board footer