Announcement

#1 2013-03-05 20:09:09

zeroten
2013-03-05

hide galleries from different users

Hi Piwigo,

I've not installed Piwigo yet as I have a question before I do. The showcase doesn't really demonstrate what I'm after which is this...

Say I have 2 clients, Client 1 & Client 2. I want Client 1 to go to a sub-domain I've created with Piwigo installed, and be presented with a login panel (username & password required). Correct entry of username and password takes Client 1 into his gallery (Client1Gallery) so he can view the images in it but have no idea there is another gallery for Client 2 (Client2Gallery) in the same subdomain.

Essentially both clients should think theirs is the only gallery in the subdomain.

Is that possible, and if so how would I set it up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

zeroten

#2 2013-03-05 21:22:23

pewe
2012-03-16

Re: hide galleries from different users

Your post is not very clear but if I interpret your post correctly -

You talk about subdomains - why not just have 2 installations of Piwigo either

- at the same subdomain but in different directories (eg subdomain.domain.com/piwigo1 and subdomain.domain.com/piwigo2)

or

- at different subdomains such as user1.domain.com and user2.domain.com.

Both options can use either different databases or sharing the same database with different table prefix (usr1_ and user2_).

#3 2013-03-05 21:39:24

zeroten
2013-03-05

Thanks Pewe, and sorry for the lack of clarity! You've understood perfectly what I'm getting at!

I thought about installing Piwigo twice in separate directories, but wondered whether that took up excessive server space (not the gallery images, just piwigo itself). Is that not the case?

If I did do that, when Client 1 went to subdomain.domain.com/piwigo1 would he/she get a login panel to enter the correct username and password?

#4 2013-03-05 23:48:46

pewe
2012-03-16

Piwigo files only take about 12-13mb of disc space.

When anyone visits a Piwigo installation they are presented with a home screen - these can be modified using extensions - with a log in box in the left panel.

What albums/photos they are permitted to see depends on how the permissions are set.

#5 2013-03-06 13:10:21

zeroten
2013-03-05

Thanks Pewe.

I took the plunge and installed it, and managed to get everything just how I want it - set all galleries to private so no galleries are visible at login, then set up groups for clients 1 & 2, assigned users to those groups, and set albums to be visible only to those groups. Works a treat!

Looking like a really good bit of software from what I've seen so far. Happy I went with it!

Chris

#6 2013-03-06 17:09:16

pewe
2012-03-16

Good to hear it works as you need it to.

Guess I should have mentioned about the user permissions in my earlier post, but I thought you were specifically needing to use sub-domains for some reason - seems the subdomains were a bit of a red herring ;-)

Board footer