Announcement

#1 2019-10-08 14:41:35

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Piwigo 2.10

Hello Piwigo users and followers!

This 2.10 version marks a turning point in Piwigo’s history, as it is the first step for a new Piwigo, redesigned according to current standards. The journey is not over yet, still we are proud of the work that has been made by our talented designers. But design is nothing without user oriented features brought to you by our dedicated developement team and great contributors.

https://piwigo.org/screenshots/github-screenshot-2.10.jpg

Theme Modus becomes default theme with 8 new skins, new overall design for administration, new dark mode, new upload form, compatibility with MySQL 8, history of administration activity... are a few improvements brought by Piwigo 2.10.

Piwigo 2.10 release notes

Have a happy update

#2 2019-10-08 17:31:13

pkalis
2019-09-15

Re: Piwigo 2.10

To be honest, there is no new functionality in 2.10 that would persuade me to upgrade right now and risk my tuned 2.9 galleries. All of these changes seems to be small UI tweaking from my (common user) point od view.

But it's not bad - you guys (and girls) do absolutely amazing work - Piwigo is far the best and useable self hosted gallery application, that I have seen and I have seen many. Really. Even in 2.9 version.

So, I won't upgrade right now to 2.10 and instead of that i will send a small money donation to you as a expression of my support and gratitude.

#3 2019-10-08 19:36:27

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

#4 2019-10-09 01:43:03

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Upgraded, works, thanks.

One caveat: before the upgrade there's Dump database offered, which when tried lead to

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_select_db() in .../admin/include/mysqldump.php:75

This is due to the mysql_select_db() function not being available anymore since PHP 7.0, see https://www.php.net/manual/en/function. … ect-db.php

So rather save the database by other backup means.

A tad annoying is that all plugins are deactivated after the upgrade; if you had manually deactivated some plugins as well it can be hard to figure out which to reactivate.. an extra category/list for automatically deactivated plugin would be nice. So better keep note of manually deactivated plugins before starting the upgrade process.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#5 2019-10-09 02:04:20

samwilson
Fremantle, Western Australia
2014-02-06

This is great news! Thanks for all the work that's gone into the new Piwigo. Happy to see the release notes mention duplicate-sorting too! :-)

@pkalis I reckon you should still upgrade, even if you don't need the new features, because there are security fixes as well.

#6 2019-10-09 02:59:30

executive
2017-08-16

I will upgrade when I have some free time, but judging from the screenshots, it looks beautiful. Much more attractive.

High resolution display support is important to me, and I use dark mode in all my software whenever I can.

Plugin compatibility and performance improvements will be appreciated by a lot of users, judging from the questions we get in the forum.

Awesome work. Thanks Piwigo team.

@ homdax: read the release notes

#7 2019-10-09 08:29:44

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

I did. No mention of additional file types handling.

Having said that I have upgraded a couple of sites and all looks great and look forward to use 2.10 more extensively.

Last edited by homdax (2019-10-09 08:31:28)

#8 2019-10-09 10:11:47

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

pkalis wrote:

To be honest, there is no new functionality in 2.10 that would persuade me to upgrade right now and risk my tuned 2.9 galleries. All of these changes seems to be small UI tweaking from my (common user) point od view.

I understand. Wait a little bit before updating to 2.10, but do it at a certain point, or else you will never update and your Piwigo might become vulnerable to attacks :-/ (Piwigo 2.10.0 already fixes minor security issues compared to 2.9.5, but nothing to really worry about)

pkalis wrote:

[...] you guys (and girls) do absolutely amazing work - Piwigo is far the best and useable self hosted gallery application, that I have seen and I have seen many. Really. Even in 2.9 version.

thank you :-)

pkalis wrote:

[...] i will send a small money donation to you as a expression of my support and gratitude.

thank you for that also, that's very useful. We may encourage donation a little bit more in the future (we nearly don't do it currently)

#9 2019-10-09 10:31:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

erAck wrote:

Upgraded, works, thanks.

Piwigo 2.10.0 already downloaded more than 1.5k times, and certainly a big majority for automatic upgrades. So far so good.

erAck wrote:

One caveat: before the upgrade there's Dump database offered, which when tried lead to Fatal error [...] So rather save the database by other backup means.

I agree [Github] Piwigo issue #662

erAck wrote:

A tad annoying is that all plugins are deactivated after the upgrade; if you had manually deactivated some plugins as well it can be hard to figure out which to reactivate..

At the end of of the upgrade, Piwigo gives you the list of deactivated extensions. But I agree, Piwigo should do better, see [Github] Piwigo issue #664

#10 2019-10-09 10:35:29

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

samwilson wrote:

Happy to see the release notes mention duplicate-sorting too! :-)

And thank you for implementing it.

More than ever, the version 2.10 includes many (pull/merge)-requests from the community of contributors :-)

samwilson wrote:

@pkalis I reckon you should still upgrade, even if you don't need the new features, because there are security fixes as well.

Couldn't agree more!

#11 2019-10-09 10:39:40

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

executive wrote:

[...] judging from the screenshots, it looks beautiful. Much more attractive.

That's the whole point of version 2.10 :-) Maybe not the most important "feature" for current Piwigo users but a key point for anybody discovering Piwigo!

executive wrote:

Awesome work. Thanks Piwigo team.

Team and whole contributing community! Thank you for using Piwigo :-)

#12 2019-10-09 11:34:18

pkalis
2019-09-15

Sure, I will upgrade, but I'll wait some time :-). Btw, my biggest gallery has more than 16.000 pictures and 690 albums.It works absolutelly smoothly without any problem or slowdowns. After experience with some other galleries it's really fantastic.

#13 2019-10-09 23:33:16

Nigel-Aves
2015-09-22

Unfortunately upgrade did NOT work.

Using Chrome browser - Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Linux Server
Operating system     CentOS Linux 7.6.1810
Apache version     2.4.6
PHP versions     7.2.10
MySQL version     5.5.60

Greated with message : "Some Checksums are missing."

Compute 2753 missing checksums

Get the following error message >> error 501 : Method name is not valid

Found people in past had a similar problem. followed the instructions found.

Combine JS / CSS set to off

Purge compiled templates

Same problem.

Changed to Modus to see if that helps, did as above, did not help.....

Still using Modus and also happens on my prefered theme "Elegant" (Not a fan of Modus, I much prefer album list on screen. Pull down not good when you have 100+ albums as my other sites have.)

Go into any gallery that has albums in it and you get the following ...

Notice: Undefined index: display_fromto in /home/serendipity/public_html/include/category_cats.inc.php on line 119

Notice: Undefined index: display_fromto in /home/serendipity/public_html/include/category_cats.inc.php on line 315

Notice: Undefined index: display_fromto in /home/serendipity/public_html/include/category_cats.inc.php on line 315

ect ect .....

Last edited by Nigel-Aves (2019-10-09 23:50:09)

#14 2019-10-10 03:25:13

stormhike
2019-10-10

Are you serious, an upgrade!! I don't see it that way, for me it's a downgrade.

Where did the fullscreen slideshow go? The slideshow in modus now only shows the photo at half size, which for me makes Piwigo half as good as it was (which was very good). I'm glad I only upgraded one of my sites that doesn't get used much, I will not upgrade the others.

And the new Dashboard theme is hard to read in daylight. On my system it scores a miserable 61% on the Lighthouse Accessibility Audit in the Chrome browser. You might want to look into that or you might get sued.

I'm optimistic that you will get the fullscreen slideshow back and fix the accessibility issues because you are clearly capable of writing good software. But I don't think you should recommend that folks upgrade until you have fixed them.

While I am all wound up I would like to point out that the amount of wasted space above the photo in the modus theme makes it so that you have to select a smaller photo size, which sucks. I recommend that you ease out any unnecessary space around the photos.

Nevertheless I thank you for the excellent product.

#15 2019-10-10 07:51:17

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

stormhike wrote:

On my system it scores a miserable 61% on the Lighthouse Accessibility Audit in the Chrome browser. You might want to look into that or you might get sued.

Plg, I apologize on his behalf.
I can even imagine how you feel after working for so many years on a free software and see something like this.

Board footer