Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » PHP versions tested with?

#1 2020-12-31 14:48:52

Boudewijn
2020-12-31

PHP versions tested with?

Hi,

I've just setup Piwigo 2.10.2 and trying out some extensions. Some didn't have maintenance for ages and some are from recent date.
With some of the extensions I run into tons of PHP messages and they just won't work. I'm in the dark whether this is caused by extension compatibility or by my PHP version 7.4.9. 

My question is against what PHP version Piwigo (current 2.10.2 and upcoming 11 version) is tested and supported. The documentation mentions a minimum version but not a maximum one :-)

My request is to also add this information in the documentation of Piwigo as well as the extensions.

Thanks!

Boudewijn

#2 2020-12-31 18:26:26

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: PHP versions tested with?

Not all extensions are prepared for PHP 7.4; using 7.3 is the better bet.
Then again some produce only Deprecated messages and not warnings or even errors, those you can run and suppress Deprecated messages with adding

$conf['show_php_errors'] = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED;

to the local config, for which you may use [extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor if you don't know how.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2021-01-01 10:39:54

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

erAck wrote:

Not all extensions are prepared for PHP 7.4; using 7.3 is the better bet.
Then again some produce only Deprecated messages and not warnings or even errors, those you can run and suppress Deprecated messages with adding

$conf['show_php_errors'] = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED;

to the local config, for which you may use [extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor if you don't know how.

It's a bad advice even it is commonly used. For the better php 8 has removed that option and E_ALL includes E_DEPRECATED in php 8.
You must not display errors/warnings/whatever. You must log them. You should have a better place to configure the way errors are displayed. Even shard hosting give you tools to configure that.

#4 2021-01-01 16:47:14

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

DEPRECATED messages are of no use in a production environment and hence can be fairly suppressed for end users, they are only helpful for developers to prepare for upcoming PHP releases where functionality will cease to exist.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#5 2021-01-02 11:09:44

Boudewijn
2020-12-31

Thanks, for this moment I will switch back to PHP 7.0 which is the one lower version still installed on my servers.

What about the 11 version of Piwigo? In what PHP version is it currently tested?

Last edited by Boudewijn (2021-01-02 11:10:09)

•  » Requests
  •  » PHP versions tested with?

Board footer