Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Developing a web app is not easy - and it is getting harder

#1 2021-02-22 21:02:01

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Developing a web app is not easy - and it is getting harder

I could write this in any of the web apps forums I have ever used, from Php-Nuke, via Coppermine to Menalto Gallery and Piwigo, to focus on the ones I have used as base for my online galleries, big or small.

Signing up for web space, mostly on a linux derivative with mysql and php, getting the files, running the setup on said web host.. That was, and still is, the basic concept. Some kind of control panel, like cpanel or directadmin (I mostly use the latter recent years) on the web host to handle mysq and php settings and limits. You could make it work on IIS with PHP and MySQL as well, but a bit more tricky. Some basic PHP functions enabled, like imagemagick and gd. Thats it. Gallery ready.

But now, the hosting is just about anything. Still, the basic engine is mostly Linux (LAMP) but the derivatives are many kinds of virtualization and container engines that demand a prepped package to "install" for the web app to work.

At first glance I am lost and many with me. I imagine that the situation for developers is difficult, because suddenly you start getting questions about how to deploy Piwigo to platfom Z in a virtual Y in container Q. I don't see how you will ever be able to support that. Sure, maybe a Docker image and something else but the variants are too many, the support questions are too little about Piwigo and more about how you configure it to work on hardware and software that emulates servers that are far from the basic concept.

Do you have a plan on how to deal with this? I don't expect you do. I fear you will eventually drown in questions that are less about Piwigo's functionality and more about how to set it up in a huge number of different environments, very few with any enforced standards.

I already see some web apps drowning in this, dying, lack of time, lack of support, lack of knowledge and a horde of users demanding answers you were never supposed to provide in the first place?

You may need to draw a line.

Last edited by homdax (2021-02-22 21:17:32)

#2 2021-02-23 10:36:45

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Developing a web app is not easy - and it is getting harder

years ago, when I was moderating and answering, I was just posting: "it's a server side issue, not related to Piwigo". So we don't maintain any image for the reasons you mentioned, and it's not really a choice. We barely maintain Piwigo and smartphone apps, so virtual images or packages, heck no ^^
I remember someone maintaining a Piwigo package for some time.. I think it was Nikrou

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2021-02-23 11:34:55

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

We barely maintain Piwigo and smartphone apps

Hum... we do maintain (and evolve) Piwigo and mobile apps. Didn't you see Piwigo 11 ?!?

#4 2021-02-23 11:39:26

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

as said in our private forum, that's an impressive work. I don't mean to diminish any effort made for the community

We faced and will face highs and lows ; that's just what I meant

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2021-03-11 13:50:44

Aderalia
2019-03-04

As always there are two sides to this story :)

Both virtualization and containers have there places and uses. They generally allow for way faster deployment once set up correctly and give you are more common base to work with as the software developer because you don't have to mess around with specifics.
And that's where the problems start. Adding layers to a stack has a penalty, sometimes its barley worth mentioning (like Dockers storage engine for example) and sometimes its tremendous.
To use these tools properly basically requires three different People for all the links in the ever growing chain, which makes it a massive pain for individuals and small companies.

I work for a large Hardware provider and hardware is my daily bread and butter, but seeing how much raw performance is required to run some Kubernetes monsters with half a billion different third party tools involved to patch all the little holes is shocking.

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Developing a web app is not easy - and it is getting harder

Board footer