Announcement

#1 2022-11-12 22:19:10

jspittler
2022-11-12

Unable to Save Changes to Configuration/Options/General

Hello,

I just installed Piwigo for the first time the other day.  Things mostly seem to work OK, but if I go to the Configuration/Options/General area, and then try to save the changes, I get the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

...and the changes are not saved.  All other areas in which configurations can be made seem to work just fine.  It is just changes made from that one page.

To make matters worse, after a few attempts at saving the above mentioned changes, my webhost seems to block my IP address from the site, presumably due to what it seems to think of as some kind of repeated "wrong password" login attempt or something.

I found a couple of older posts that seem somewhat related to this issue, but seemed to apply in a very general way.  It appeared that in my case, the problem only appeared in a very specific way, so I started a new thread.

Piwigo 13.1.0
Installed on 10 November 2022, 2 days ago
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 7.0.33 (Show info) [2022-11-12 21:11:49]
MySQL: 5.5.5-10.3.37-MariaDB [2022-11-12 16:11:49]
Graphics Library: External ImageMagick 6.9.10-68
Cache size N/A   never calculated

Piwigo URL: https://juddspittler.com/piwigo/

Thanks for any help.

Judd

#2 2022-11-13 12:17:33

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Unable to Save Changes to Configuration/Options/General

jspittler wrote:

I just installed Piwigo for the first time the other day.

Well, how did you install it? Net-Install? FTP uploading the .zip package and unpacking it on the host? FTP uploading the individual source files?

Things mostly seem to work OK, but if I go to the Configuration/Options/General area, and then try to save the changes, I get the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

...and the changes are not saved.  All other areas in which configurations can be made seem to work just fine.  It is just changes made from that one page.

Exactly what are you trying to change there on the General tab?

To make matters worse, after a few attempts at saving the above mentioned changes, my webhost seems to block my IP address from the site, presumably due to what it seems to think of as some kind of repeated "wrong password" login attempt or something.

That's quite a normal measure to react on repeated frequent 403 errors with an IP. It may go away if from the same IP you login into your shared hosting package again (if things are configured nicely), or talk to your hosting provider

I found a couple of older posts that seem somewhat related to this issue, but seemed to apply in a very general way.  It appeared that in my case, the problem only appeared in a very specific way, so I started a new thread.

So far I don't see much specific. It looks like a general "web server user can't create a directory or write a configuration file at some location" directory/file permission problem.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2022-11-13 18:39:28

jspittler
2022-11-12

Hello erAck,

Thanks for the response.  Here are some responses to your questions:

Well, how did you install it?

I installed it using Softaculous.

Exactly what are you trying to change there on the General tab?

Anything or nothing.  It doesn't matter whether or not a make any actual changes on that page, if I click the "Save Settings" button, I get the error.

Notice: Undefined offset: 173343 in /var/www/piwigo.org/forum/include/parser.php on line 459

#4 2022-11-13 23:07:06

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

jspittler wrote:

I installed it using Softaculous.

That seems to be either a problem of Softaculous, not being prepared for your specific hosting setup, or ModSecurity is enabled by your hosting provider. If you don't know details best talk to your hosting provider. After having them disabled ModSecurity it might be best to deinstall Piwigo completely and then reinstall from scratch.

See also [Forum, topic 173343] .

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#5 2022-12-06 06:57:44

jspittler
2022-11-12

Hello erAck,

The problem was resolved by my host provider.  It WAS, apparently, a ModSec issue, as you suspected.  I haven't been able to get any more detail regarding the issue.

As a note, I did NOT have to reinstall Piwigo after they made the adjustments, it seemed to work fine as soon as they made the changes.

Thanks again for your input.

Judd

Board footer