•  » Write Metadata causing 'unexpected files' in Check Uploads

#1 2023-01-25 13:20:55

willem
The Netherlands
2022-04-25

Write Metadata causing 'unexpected files' in Check Uploads

Hello,

Since Piwigo 13.4 we had a huge warning in the admin panel

"Some photos are missing from your file system. Details provided by plugin Check Uploads".

After installing this plugin it appeared that only 2 photos were missing. But we had heaps of warnings of this type:

2022/07/11/20220711153717-87d6c418.jpg_original is not in the database

After some experiments I believe the .jpg_original are being created by Write Metadata. This also explained why our storage usage was growing much more that we expected. We are testing massive metadata writes as means of preserving our precious metadata in case we have to move to another platform.

Is there a way to avoid creation of these .jpg_original files? Online GB's are expensive and we already make offline backups. The plugin has no settings.

Piwigo 13.5.0
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 7.4.33
MySQL: 8.0.32
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 7.1.0-20
Cache size 456.5 Mo

Activated plugin list

Batch Downloader
Check Uploads
LocalFiles Editor
Persoonlijke Plug-in
Read Metadata
Take A Tour of Your Piwigo
Write Metadata

Piwigo URL: https://beeldbank.lvbhb.nl/ (members only)

#2 2023-01-25 14:11:19

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Write Metadata causing 'unexpected files' in Check Uploads

Hi willem,

[extension by plg] Check Uploads does 2 kind of checks :

1) check that all files listed in the database are available on the filesystem. This is also (on a random sample) the "quick check" performed by Piwigo core and displayed as a big red warning if anything is missing.

2) check that all files available on the filesystem are listed in the database. If you have an image.jpg_original file, it's typically what Check Uploads would considered as an "unexpected" file.

If you have missing photos that's a problem. If you have unexpected photos that's another problem (but not a real problem if it's only a file generated by Write Metadata)

#3 2023-01-25 14:55:05

willem
The Netherlands
2022-04-25

Re: Write Metadata causing 'unexpected files' in Check Uploads

Bonjour Pierrick,

Check Uploads is very useful! I'll write the Piwigo team and suggest to make it part of Piwigo itself ;-)

My remarks were more targeted at the Write Metadata plugin:

- It doubles your storage usage, which is documented nowhere and there doesn't seem to be a GUI way to revert the 'write metadata' and restore the original.

- It causes a warning in another plugin that requires a certain level of technical knowledge to understand.

So my suggestion is to make the 'keep original' optional. Ducking around on the Internet I found this old feature request:

[Github] Piwigo-write_metadata issue #7

•  » Extensions
  •  » Write Metadata causing 'unexpected files' in Check Uploads

Board footer