Announcement

#1 2024-01-20 13:50:58

Wkung
2024-01-20

Allowing registered users without Administrator rights to edit text

Allowing registered users without Administrator rights to edit text in Image Description field

Sorry for kind of Layman's questions following – I am dealing with the Piwigo platform so far only for about one week. I find Piwigo very appealing and it would be the perfect solution as photo base for our planned webseite project, if I could just one requirement fulfilled. This requirement is corresponding to previous discussions about the need for more granular user access levels in Piwigo. As "Non-expert" in PhP I would like to post the following questions here:

For providing a private and noncommercial colloborative webside for collector's photos of a certain historic sujet I would like to invite an overseeable size of community members to upload photographs from their collection's trove and share it with other collector buffs. The piwigo platform ought to be integrated within a CMS website (WP, Joomla!). Due to the specifics of the collectibles, text entries in the fields “Image Title” and “Image Description” is required to be displayed under the photo. This text information for each photo should be provided by contributors in conjunction with uploaded photo/photos. Thus Title of the Photo and Image Description fields should be editable for registered members, either prior or after uploading – whatever is more viable in terms of realization. Additionally georeferencing of photos with help of the Openstreetmap Plugin should be editable if no GPS data is read out from EXIF data.

I am aware of the fact, that these functionalities are already pretty much available in Piwigo by installing the relevant plugins. I have tested it already and it works fine for me. Unfortunately the editing is only possible within Administrator Status. While giving Administrator rights to edit single photos, the Administration management console is accessible for normal users, what is not feasible due to security reasons. My non expert questions concerning Piwigo and PhP are now as follows:

1. Did I oversee some plugin parametrizations possibilities within Piwigo, that would make the described requirements for the necessary trustee assignments available out of the box - with or without the help of existing plugins and php scripts? In particular – can I give permissions to edit text fields on an image side while prohibiting access to the Administration Panel?

2. If it is not possible - and this is my understanding at the moment - is there a chance that some expert PHP-developer can develop and integrate the described granular user access levels in Piwigo or develop a workaround just according the     described necessity of editing text as normal user? And if the answer is here yes - are there any conceivable constraints that will lead to high development costs and/or security issues for this option?

3. Or might be there another workaround? The only one that does come into my mind is, that access rights on the administrator level can be issued temporarily during the editing process and then will be revoked after saving the text changes.

Thanks a lot in anticipation for helpful answers.

Rgds.

Alex

Datenbankversion     10.5.23-MariaDB-1:10.5.23+maria
Linux dd19204 5.4.0-167-generic #184-Ubuntu SMP
PHP-Version     8.2.13
Webserver     Apache

List of Activated Plugins in Test Installation:

Additional Pages
Admin Tools
Advanced Menu Manager
AlwaysShowMetadata
Automatic Size
Batch Manager, Description
Change who added photo
Check Uploads
Comments on Albums
Community
Cookie Consent
Copyrights
Download Counter
Edit Filename
Exif View
Exiftool GPS
Extended Description
External Reference
FCK Editor
GuestBook
Header Manager
Language Switch
LocalFiles Editor
Manage Properties Photos
meta
OpenStreetMap
Permalink Generator
Perso Footer
Personal Favicon
Photo added by
Read Metadata
rightClick
See My Photos
See photos by user
Show Photo Identifier
Tag Groups
Title
User Custom Fields
Write Metadata

Last edited by Wkung (2024-01-20 20:56:10)

#2 2024-01-22 15:38:28

Wkung
2024-01-20

Re: Allowing registered users without Administrator rights to edit text

Addendum:
To clarify - yes, the album was assigned to the right owner by giving appropriate rights. Only the owner of the album, if he is registered, can find the Edit command in the menu, as it should be. However, the only editing options that are then displayed are “Remove photos”, “Add - remove keywords”. This is contrary to the functionality described in the ADMIN TOOL plugin, where it is explicitly stated, "give access to quick edit photo owners even if they are not admin" - This is exactly the functionality that is sought, but for me it is only available at the administrator level AND not as a registered user. If the functionality as in the description is also available to registered users, then everything would be fine.

.. did I miss something?

Board footer