Announcement

#1 2024-02-12 18:49:37

WycheGnome
2024-02-12

Array ( [0] => Access denied for user

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

I am attempting to install Piwigo for the first time in a sub-domain.

So far I have tried multiple times, copying/pasting the relevant information into the installation configuration table.

Having got past the unexpected requirement to configure access permissions for the _data directory I am now at a standstill unable to get past the Access denied for user message. The user concerned is the Database User.

Not having been able to complete installation I can't quote from the Maintenance page but the server runs Windows and is set to use PHP version 8.3.2  Piwigo version is 14.2.0 with file dates in the zip of 30th January 2024

The web address of the installation is https://test.s-r-s.org.uk/install.php?language=en_GB and that is the page generating the error message.

Thanks, John

#2 2024-02-12 19:31:48

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Array ( [0] => Access denied for user

Piwigo is not ready for PHP 8.3, please try with PHP 8.2 or 8.1

Apart from that, access denied for the database user may have various reasons, credentials not correct or database server not reachable in your network or database (which anyway?) not correctly installed. Trying that on Windows probably doesn't make things easier..

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2024-02-13 00:14:29

WycheGnome
2024-02-12

Thank you erAck

Tried PHP 8.2.15 and 8.1.27 but this has made no difference.

test.s-r-s.org.uk is a sub-domain and the files are in the root of that sub-domain with the intention that simply calling the sub-domain will automatically fire up the installation.

Is Piwigo expecting the files to be in a specific or different place in the directory hierarchy?

If need be I'll remove the install and try again.

Thanks, John

#4 2024-02-13 06:48:19

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Hi,

can you test install with en_UK

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#5 2024-02-13 12:26:10

WycheGnome
2024-02-12

Thank you to both erAck and ddtddt for responding. However, the PHP version proved not to be an issue. Whether or not the language selected makes a difference is moot and not at all logical as, surely, it should install regardless of the language selected.

I removed the initial installation and started again. The first restart failed as the Piwigo suite was sitting in the root directory of the sub-domain - all I got was a plain white blank screen! I can only assume that Piwigo will not run from a root directory which is annoying when you want to run from a sub-domain!

I can understand not wanting to run from the root of the main web site BUT not catering for root directory installations is short sighted as I may well not be the only one who only wants a single application in the domain or sub-domain.

To recap - the web site server is a windows one and uses Plesk as the control panel. In plesk I set PHP at its latest available (to me) incarnation which is version 8.3.2.

Starting again from scratch I removed the database and first suite. The steps I then went through may be of some benefit to others:

1. Created a sub directory in the test sub-domain.

2. Unpacked the Piwigo distribution suite to my local hard drive.

3. Added another distribution I needed to the plugins directory.

4. Uploaded the entire lot to the sub-directory.

5. Created a database for the trial and allowed this to be accessed from anywhere in the domain / sub-domains.

6. The option to set permissions to 777 failed and had to be skipped as this method doesn't work on windows but Plesk offers it regardless. I then used the Files access to locate the sub-directory and used the change permissions there to set the application pool to allow full read / write etc. access.

7. I then called the suite and the installation ran without hitch although a pop up message acknowledging pressing the install button would be more user friendly rather than nothing seemingly going on for a while.

8. Test install now up and running complete with the plugins from the Piwigo distribution and the one I added.

9. Now to prove it actually meets my needs.

Cheers, John

#6 2024-02-13 19:26:01

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Piwigo is relocatable and definitely should run if installed to a subdomain's document root (unless some bug crept in meanwhile..), and loads of installations in the wild actually use such setup. There must had been something specific to your environment.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#7 2024-02-14 10:00:41

WycheGnome
2024-02-12

Relocatable is what I would expect.

Key to its intended use was the claimed ability of a plug-in to play videos that are already present in Vimeo.

Although the plug-in was recognised, attempting to use it produced a shower of error messages. The program also ran too slow to be of practical use.

Thank you to both erAck and ddtddt for responding but I have concluded that Piwigo is not the solution I need.

John

Board footer