Announcement

•  » Engine
  •  » Gallery URL configuration setting, still useful?

#1 2010-12-11 00:11:37

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Gallery URL configuration setting, still useful?

Hi Piwigo coding team,

rvelices and laurent.duretz, in Piwigo 2.1, you modified the way [Administration > Configuration > Options > Main > Gallery URL] configuration setting was used. Now we set this parameter as empty by default.

1) is this parameter still useful? if yes, what for?

2) didn't this parameter become dangerous?

3) if we really want to keep it, I suggest we move it as a more "private" configuration setting (in configuration file for example)

#2 2010-12-11 11:18:15

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

Re: Gallery URL configuration setting, still useful?

Hi plg,

1) this parameter is usefull because it's the simpliest way to configure a page index out of the piwigo gallery

2) this parameter is as dangerous as other parameter in newbie's hands ;-)

3) if we move it in configuration file, we lost simplicity without mor security.

Last edited by laurent.duretz (2010-12-11 14:28:04)

« Entre Ce que je pense, Ce que je veux dire, Ce que je crois dire, Ce que je dis, Ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, Ce que vous entendez, Ce que vous comprenez... il y a dix possibilités qu'on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même... »
[ Bernard Werber ]
This is more difficult if you don't understand French !
[ Laurent ]

#3 2010-12-11 14:22:38

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

I do not use it, so I let you decide what to do...

#4 2011-07-05 14:24:54

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

laurent.duretz wrote:

1) this parameter is usefull because it's the simpliest way to configure a page index out of the piwigo gallery

OK. For example, http://www.photos.tarrajat.fr is using it to force homepage on index.php instead of his specific index.html. I think it is a very very specific use that can be fixed by using a homepage with plugin Additional Pages.

laurent.duretz wrote:

2) this parameter is as dangerous as other parameter in newbie's hands ;-)

3) if we move it in configuration file, we lost simplicity without mor security.

I do not agree. This parameter is much more dangerous. Users think that by changing this URL, they will either get a new domain name or have their homepage elsewhere, this is just not true and misleading. Each time I see this parameter modified (with an exception for www.photos.tarrajat.fr) it breaks the gallery.

I think that moving this parameter to configuration file makes it more secure. Why? because modifying the configuration file is not "as easy" as modifying a field in the web interface, and the local configuration parameters becomes only for "advanced users".

The problem is that if we can't move the parameter from database to local configuration in a secure way with a migration task, because local/config/config.inc.php may not be writable by PHP.

Another solution is to add a $conf['configure_gallery_url'] = false in include/config_defaults which hides the "Gallery URL" field on [Administration > Configuration > Options > Main] but I think it's highly complicated for such a specific parameter...

#5 2011-08-22 19:20:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[Bugtracker] ticket 2413, done. Will be in Piwigo 2.3.0RC1

#6 2011-10-26 19:00:14

Keith

I had a Gallery URL included in 2.2, upgraded to 2.3, and need to change the URL, but option isn't in the admin anywhere. What .php file is it in to change?

#7 2011-10-26 19:05:20

Keith

Keith wrote:

I had a Gallery URL included in 2.2, upgraded to 2.3, and need to change the URL, but option isn't in the admin anywhere. What .php file is it in to change?

Found it.

#8 2011-11-22 17:01:43

Patrick_RFA

Hello,

I also need to change the URL. In which file did you find it?

Thanks.

•  » Engine
  •  » Gallery URL configuration setting, still useful?

Board footer