Announcement

#1 2015-09-13 21:36:00

kalel

Piwigo Traffic Exchange

Hi everyone,

This isn't a feature request, just a 'random' idea for discussion.
What if a Piwigo traffic exchange system (perhaps as a plug-in) was introduced to allow people to share traffic with other Piwigo galleries? Also allowing visitors of a Piwigo gallery to find more interesting material on other Piwigo galleries. A kind of a small network for Piwigo users.

At this moment, I don't have a more detailed idea such as whether it should display a random thumbnail and a name of a gallery, which when clicked, would point to it, or just text links, or none of that. I'm not thinking a complicated system with points and clicks, just an old fashioned website link exchange system. The thing is, most traffic exchange systems these days are based on spam, and bots. Having one specifically for Piwigo galleries, and not websites, might be interested.

Any opinions?

#2 2015-09-13 21:55:42

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Piwigo Traffic Exchange

Hello kalel.

We actually have a (very) long term plan of a "Piwigo social network" to interconnect galleries in a central hub, as well as a plugin to promote similar galleries (based on keywords, friends, etc).

It's just an early stage draft, no development has even been started. If it's ever published, it will not be before years unfortunately.

#3 2015-09-14 03:19:08

KalEl

Re: Piwigo Traffic Exchange

mistic100 wrote:

Hello kalel.

We actually have a (very) long term plan of a "Piwigo social network" to interconnect galleries in a central hub, as well as a plugin to promote similar galleries (based on keywords, friends, etc).

It's just an early stage draft, no development has even been started. If it's ever published, it will not be before years unfortunately.

Sounds great, although my idea was far less sophisticated than a social network. I'm sure that most people would be able to write a simple and small traffic exchange plugin with banners and links, but it's right that it would need a database to draw from. Would it be possible to use Piwigo showcase as a database? Alternatively, the plugin would need a database somewhere, and each person who installs and activates and wants to use the plugin would get added to that list, through the plugin itself.

Board footer